Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Back in another old BAJA VIP Member Baja226sport's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2011 16ft Tracker Grizzly 40hp....Fast!, Baja 280
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    PA/MD
    Posts
    2,072

    Flushing oil lines... what to use?

    The only thing I think I am going to use from the engines that originally came in my boat is the oil cooler lines. I want to clean them though. Any suggestions on how to or what to use to flush them out?

  2. #2
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja226sport View Post
    The only thing I think I am going to use from the engines that originally came in my boat is the oil cooler lines. I want to clean them though. Any suggestions on how to or what to use to flush them out?
    I would consider using something like Kerosene. Lacquer thinner and solvents like that may attack the rubber linings in the hoses.

  3. #3
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    309
    it your taking the hoses out of the boat flush them in your solvent tank if not get some cheap 15 wt oil and run that thru them .

  4. #4
    Platinum Member Platinum Member mike tkach's Avatar
    My Boats:
    31 american offshore,38 fountain fever
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    yorkville,il
    Posts
    4,727
    i flush them in my solvent tank and then blow them out with compressed air,if you had an engine failure,throw then in the trash and replace vthem.
    MIKE TKACH

  5. #5
    Registered
    My Boats:
    96 , cig top gun
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    sint maarten
    Posts
    1,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja226sport View Post
    The only thing I think I am going to use from the engines that originally came in my boat is the oil cooler lines. I want to clean them though. Any suggestions on how to or what to use to flush them out?
    gunk makes a product called " sc5" in a spray can. every napa has it and is avail in gallon cans as well. its a water solubable parts cleaner that works great. spray it down there and flush with a hose. then use a bucket with soap and water and flush. there is no reason to throw them away. if they are serviceable for your needs they are easily and completely cleaned and can be reused without worry. the trick is to use the water soluable cleaner first. that breaks up all the oil and everything that might be stuck to it and when flushed w/ water leave it " no film" dry. then warm soap and water cleans them absolutely virgin.

    you can effectively clean oil coolers the same way altho wheni had to do those , i would use a pressure washer instead but after a bit of work, you get them perfect. since the oil goes thru the filter first anyway the vast majority of the trash is caught in the screens and in the filter . very little ends up in the cooler where it might be trapped and the lines trap none at all.

  6. #6
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesxm View Post
    gunk makes a product called " sc5" in a spray can. every napa has it and is avail in gallon cans as well. its a water solubable parts cleaner that works great. spray it down there and flush with a hose. then use a bucket with soap and water and flush. there is no reason to throw them away. if they are serviceable for your needs they are easily and completely cleaned and can be reused without worry. the trick is to use the water soluable cleaner first. that breaks up all the oil and everything that might be stuck to it and when flushed w/ water leave it " no film" dry. then warm soap and water cleans them absolutely virgin.

    you can effectively clean oil coolers the same way altho wheni had to do those , i would use a pressure washer instead but after a bit of work, you get them perfect. since the oil goes thru the filter first anyway the vast majority of the trash is caught in the screens and in the filter . very little ends up in the cooler where it might be trapped and the lines trap none at all.
    Don't hold your breath on the cooler catching it all. As mentioned, if metal went through it, it is money well spent to toss the cooler. Especially if your system is set-up with a bypass on the filter housing. I personally would'nt reuse but its what your comfortable with .

  7. #7
    Registered txriverrat2001's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1993 Cruisers Inc Twin Diesel, 23' CC 225 Optimax
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Channelview, Texas
    Posts
    905
    Brake Clean - lots of it and high pressure air. ...

  8. #8
    Registered
    My Boats:
    1986 38 Cigarette
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Posts
    742
    solvent first, then flush with lots of hot soap water. Blow dry, then prep with a light oil and blow again. ready for use.

  9. #9
    Back in another old BAJA VIP Member Baja226sport's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2011 16ft Tracker Grizzly 40hp....Fast!, Baja 280
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    PA/MD
    Posts
    2,072
    Thanks guys. I am getting started this evening. I have brand new oil coolers so they are clean although none of this stuff was from engines that were blown up. I just want to make sure everything is clean!

  10. #10
    Registered
    My Boats:
    96 , cig top gun
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    sint maarten
    Posts
    1,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja226sport View Post
    Thanks guys. I am getting started this evening. I have brand new oil coolers so they are clean although none of this stuff was from engines that were blown up. I just want to make sure everything is clean!
    well. thats the right way to do it for sure.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertisers


OSO Directory
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Original Poster In Postbit provided by Original Poster In Postbit v1.0.0 (Free) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.