Stuck Tailstock on Wetsump #6 >

Stuck Tailstock on Wetsump #6

Notices

Stuck Tailstock on Wetsump #6

Old 04-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Stuck Tailstock on Wetsump #6

I am helping a friend pull a 900SC from 42 Cigarette. The transmission is toast so we pulled the engine. Long story short, the engine would not come forward. Since we already had it loose and hanging, i decided to unbolt the trans from the bell housing and go ahead and get it out of the way.

At this point, we broke the trans loose from the tailstock and have been trying to get the tailstock off of the drive shaft ever since. Have tried mocked up puller tied to engine mounts, comealongs etc. This thing wont budge.

I am assume that the splines are either rusted together or spun, although I can't image the #6 input shaft spinning with 900SC's.

Without mounting everything back up and trying to pull the drive, I am looking for some ideas.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey Matt. I probably would have mixed up some ATF and acetone, and poured it in the tailstock while it was apart, and let it soak for a couple days. I bet its rusted pretty good in there.

What Ive don't before, with stuck drives, is make wooden wedges, to hammer in between the drive and bellhousing assembly.

If the splines rusted that much into the tailstock coupler, i'd be worried about the rear tailstock bearing also.

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 04-18-2013 at 09:58 AM.