holley commnder 950 efi

Notices

holley commnder 950 efi

Old 11-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by regalman4925
I guess my biggest question is if I do add the O2 upgrade to it will I be able to get running fairly easy or is it going to be a total pain in the rear? from the little I have been able to dig up on the unit, I have read that if I can get the base tune close enough to start it that the unit should tune it self as you mentioned. If you are able to find the O2 parts for cheap I am very interested, this is a budget build. without the o2 upgrade I don't think this would be a good option. this is going to be on a n/a engine with at best 600hp
I can send you a base map to get you running. Is it an MPI setup?
Old 11-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes it is. if you would, I would appreciate it! it will be awhile until I am able to try it but it takes away 1 piece of the puzzle .
Old 11-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Registered

one of the big issues will be if you can get the 02 to live, some can, many can't any water hits it and does not last long, my lightnings kill them quick...
Old 11-22-2013, 09:29 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ezstriper
one of the big issues will be if you can get the 02 to live, some can, many can't any water hits it and does not last long, my lightnings kill them quick...
It's not difficult if you have it placed properly. They are very sensitive to water, and on very aggressive combo's it's not uncommon for me to lose one or two while getting the idle and low rpm tune dialed in. Once it's set up though, they'll last a long time. For the HP system you only need it in for about 15mins to completely tune your base map with the auto tune feature. A lot of people leave them in for monitoring on a gauge, or some guys continue to run closed loop. They'll last a couple years on a well tuned set up. Also, any exhaust leak will cause a problem with reversion. If you're getting enough water in the exhaust to regularly kill the sensor, then you could be ingesting water into the engine too, which you'd definitely want to sort out sooner then later.. What cam are you running, and how much base timing below 1200rpm?
Old 11-23-2013, 12:26 AM
Registered

I am running a crane 731 cam and I have gil exhaust with the tall hp500 style risers. I don't believe I would have reversion issues with the risers up so high
Old 11-23-2013, 07:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
It's not difficult if you have it placed properly. They are very sensitive to water, and on very aggressive combo's it's not uncommon for me to lose one or two while getting the idle and low rpm tune dialed in. Once it's set up though, they'll last a long time. For the HP system you only need it in for about 15mins to completely tune your base map with the auto tune feature. A lot of people leave them in for monitoring on a gauge, or some guys continue to run closed loop. They'll last a couple years on a well tuned set up. Also, any exhaust leak will cause a problem with reversion. If you're getting enough water in the exhaust to regularly kill the sensor, then you could be ingesting water into the engine too, which you'd definitely want to sort out sooner then later.. What cam are you running, and how much base timing below 1200rpm?
Alex, the sensor is in the factory location top right behind start of collector, but where lightning dumps the water is less than 6" back, these are the silent choice ones and can't really move back, tried limiting the water, even added a 90 deg extender to the 02, running a HP500 w/procharger and our own EFI (port) running megasquirt...killed 3 in less than 2 hours...usually they will live thru idling, cruising, moderate throttle, but after a hard run and backing off..done...Rob
Old 11-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ezstriper
Alex, the sensor is in the factory location top right behind start of collector, but where lightning dumps the water is less than 6" back, these are the silent choice ones and can't really move back, tried limiting the water, even added a 90 deg extender to the 02, running a HP500 w/procharger and our own EFI (port) running megasquirt...killed 3 in less than 2 hours...usually they will live thru idling, cruising, moderate throttle, but after a hard run and backing off..done...Rob
That's a weird one Rob, I've never had one die in that situation. Does it go rich when you get out of the throttle? I ask because sometimes the no, or light load throttle area in the map will have too much fuel and timing. An overly rich mixture without enough heat in the exhaust will kill the sensor very quickly too. Is it definitely wet when you pull it out? One of my customers was having issues on a Whippled 557 and ended up using some sort of isolator that they use on snowmobiles, and that fixed it. I'll see if I can get the info, or maybe he'll post it if he reads this. If all else fails, pull the plugs to find the leanest cylinder, and put a bung in that tube about 4- 6" away from the port, that should allow you to finish your tuning.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
That's a weird one Rob, I've never had one die in that situation. Does it go rich when you get out of the throttle? I ask because sometimes the no, or light load throttle area in the map will have too much fuel and timing. An overly rich mixture without enough heat in the exhaust will kill the sensor very quickly too. Is it definitely wet when you pull it out? One of my customers was having issues on a Whippled 557 and ended up using some sort of isolator that they use on snowmobiles, and that fixed it. I'll see if I can get the info, or maybe he'll post it if he reads this. If all else fails, pull the plugs to find the leanest cylinder, and put a bung in that tube about 4- 6" away from the port, that should allow you to finish your tuning.
Alex, we are very close on tune(after the 3 02's) as we were only using them to tune, not running off, they would either go all rich or all lean when they took a dump..the deal with our setup is the water dump so close because of the silent choice(no we were not running in that mode) talked to eddie young and he had had the same issues as well...thanks for any help..Rob
Old 02-05-2014, 12:56 PM
Registered

Alex, I read through all of the efi for everyone page and have been doing allot or research on the different efi options out there. while I am still leaning towards the holley HP setup I still have to wonder if I can make the commander setup do what I need. you mentioned that you could get me a base tune, if I get that programmed in and I install the O2 upgrade along with the most recent software from holley how much work am I looking at? I have read on the some threads on other sites that the HP is good at getting the base tune setup based on what you tell it about your motor and then the O2 takes over from there, so if you are able to supply me with a base tune that can get the thing to run, at that point does the O2 upgrade more or less take care of the rest? I am trying to get a good grasp of the differences between the 2 systems. it seems that if you are doing the upgrade for the O2 and get a good base map it will do nearly the same thing as the HP computer.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Not trying to derail or start anything.How would this work in your application?http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/ez-e...-pump-kithtml/ .

or this. http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/ez-e...line-pumphtml/.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.