Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
holley commnder 950 efi >

holley commnder 950 efi

Notices

holley commnder 950 efi

Old 02-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, ive never used the Holley software but if its anything like our MegaSquirt EFI you can create an AFR table. If Alex can get you a base tune, that would take quite a bit of time out of you having to go through and do the timing,fuel,AFR tables yourself.

Anyway, after you get it to idle fine and get the timing setup, you should be able to create (or modify the one that comes with Alex's tune up) to where you want your air fuel ratio to be at any point. After your table is setup, you can put it in auto tune and then go drive the boat. The ECM will then make changes to the fuel table to get the engine to run at the AFR you are commanding. After that you're going to have to stop and burn in the new changes the ECM made. Then go and drive it some more, it may take a few times for it to get everything where you want it, then its just fine tuning it yourself.

Aftermarket EFI is great, especially being able to get the cruise RPM air fuel ratio where you want to get better fuel economy and having the timing you want where you want it.

How much EFI tuning experience do you have?

Its a learning experience, but after its over you'll be glad you got rid or didn't use the stock Merc junk.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been looking at the EZ EFI, the multiport stand alone, I think I can get that for around 900 bucks vs 1500ish for the holley. so that is a option. as far as EFI tuning I have very little experience, i have played around with a gm TPI setup but is was a mass air flow setup so it tuned itself based on how much air it was sucking in. if the O2 sensor works on this setup the way i am hoping and alex can get me a base tune i may just give the commander a try. i can do that for around 300 bucks vs spending the 1500+ on the HP. 1200 bucks in savings pays for a few weekends down at LOTO for me