Mirage Plus VS. Ballistic >

Mirage Plus VS. Ballistic

Notices

Mirage Plus VS. Ballistic

Old 07-24-2002, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mirage Plus VS. Ballistic

I need some basic prop education......I have been running a 17" Michigan Ballistic prop @5000 rpm's. This prop has been re-worked to a 19". I needed to get about 300 more rpm's to get in my rpm range for my new motor. Everyone I have talked to with the same hull (1986 Formula) said that the Formula's (Heavy Deep V, conservite X-dimension) liked the Mirage's. So after calling BAM they recommended said that I should go with a 17" Mirage plus..Well Im still only getting 5000rpms. The odd thing is that I am 3.5 mph SLOWER with the Mirage Plus. This seems like an awful lot to loose at the same rpm's. Any ideas why at the same rpm's the mph would be that far off. Everyone said the Mirage was the way to go.......What gives? Here is a picture of the Ballistic Prop.

"Bad-Habit"
Attached Images  

Last edited by BAD-HABIT; 07-24-2002 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:16 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 1988 FourWinns Liberator. Tried numerous props and a 21 " Ballistic out performed them all. Top end and hole shot ! I now have a 272 Formula and would have them on that but I have twins and can't get a lefty
Old 07-25-2002, 08:37 AM
Registered

mo
what props on your 272 and what power?
I have a 272 with 330's and quicksilver's. 25's and get 64.999 at 4600 rpm tops loaded light. 63 mph all day, all conditions. considering labbing these. instead of spending $$$ for two new mirages.

what ya think?

F3LS, maybe you don't need the "plus" I think that is a slighly larger diameter than the mirage, but I don't knwo for fact. maybe too much blade spinning through the water eating power for your setup. possibly the mirage at same pitch would work better? anyone actually know the diff between mirage and M plus?

that ballistic may act like the mirage (non plus) , due to it's tips taken off???

call John at York propellor, they lab VERY reasonably and he has a lot ot knowledge on what works for many boats and a grat reputation on this board. $175 to lab what you have may be cheaper than trading in/buying something else????

Last edited by Rambunctious; 07-25-2002 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Mirage Plus is cupped and the Mirage is not.
A cupped prop acts like it's one inch of pitch larger, or so I'm told.

I'm running a 14.5" dia. by 21" pitch Mirage on my F-206. Boilerdaddy told me I'm running the wrong prop. Said the Mirage has too much blade area and I should be using a Laser II.
I'll have to try one sometime.
Old 07-25-2002, 03:14 PM
Registered

Well I spoke with John at York Propellers. He said with a heavy "V" and conservite X that the Mirage has two much "area" for my application and especially with a small block (less torque). He suggested a laser or ballistic. He said he can't rework my ballistic because it's been worked already so he suggested I go with a new 17 and that he can fine tune it from there....I still haven't heard anything but good things about the Ballistic. By the way MOpower... they do make ballistics in LH.....just checked them out. Attwood orginally designed the ballistic and Michigan's Rapture couldn't compete so they bought the patent from Attwood about 2-3 years ago and from what I understand have improved the original design and expanded the line. I will let everyone know how the new prop works. Also anyone interested in a almost new (2-3 hours) 17" Mirage Plus?????

"Bad-Habit"
Old 07-25-2002, 03:31 PM
JON242

Don't need a 17" Mirage but I do have a 17" Ballistic that I'd sell.

Old 07-25-2002, 08:02 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Rambunctious , I have 330's and 25" Mirage's. I can run just a little more than you but I have Imco Power Flows. They gave me 1-2 mph. RPM's are 4500-4600 range. Best I ever got was 69 GPS with 4 people and 3/4 tank of gas but it was about 65 degrees and low humidity. It definitely make a difference(low humidity and temp that is). I got 2 540's coming...Probably in time to winterize it. What I may do is just pull mine and get it shrink wrapped for the winter. I always get a zippered door so I can clean the engine compartment up real nice. In the mean time swap all the parts from the old to new engines. Come spring just pop them in ( it should be so easy) .
Old 07-26-2002, 06:45 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Rambunctious,
I forgot , I also have and tried a set of 23" Mirage's. Top speed was about the same but rpm's were running near 5000. Also mid range speed dropped a little at 3000rpm's from 43mph to 41mph.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:06 PM
Registered

I am glad to see someone finally mention Ballistic props. I have a Chapparal 2350sx and had installed a 400 small block. After testing most of the popular props the Ballistic performed the best, for my hull design, and was considerably less expensive. The boat now has a big block and I will be looking at Ballistic again.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:50 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

F3LS
Just read your post about left Ballistics. Wasn't aware they now had them.Last time I checked was probably two years ago. A friend of mine has a 27'Ballistic 4 blade,they really look awsome

Quick Reply: Mirage Plus VS. Ballistic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.