Blue smoke at idle >

Blue smoke at idle

Notices

Blue smoke at idle

Old 04-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
ok pump gas I mean 87 not 92 or 93, weve always called pump gas 87 around ehre. I switched from 92 to 87 and black transom is gone without changing up anything else, it was over night.

I have read marine engines built for 87 like mine even being big bocks can not fully consume or burn premium as efficient as they can with 87.

I took the reccomendation in that forum and I have read it elsewhere and after switching no longer have a black transom. So I dont know what to say
i cant argue with sucess,bet it would really run good if you pour in a can of sea foam.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
Modern rings seat almost instantly. I have never had a rebuilt engine smoke after the initial start up. Something wasnt done right and that's why it's smoking. My guess is it rattled hard enough to break pieces of a couple of pistons, then there are others that are damaged also.
I agree.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 285 Likes on 176 Posts

Bought the boat today (will have to start a new thread in the Fountain section). Had a local experienced Fountain mech go with me and he checked over the transom and stringers. Structure got a clean bill of health. I'll be tinkering with it more next week and let you guys know how it goes.

Thx for all the replies!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i cant argue with sucess,bet it would really run good if you pour in a can of sea foam.
well after i switched fuel and black went away i rebuilt the carbs and I think I will run sea foam this year, thanks
Old 04-25-2013, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

oh,you switched fuel and rebuilt carbs at the same time and you think the black transom cleaned up because of the octane difference,you dont suspect the carbs were to rich before the rebuild?what type and brand are the carbs?
Old 04-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
oh,you switched fuel and rebuilt carbs at the same time and you think the black transom cleaned up because of the octane difference,you dont suspect the carbs were to rich before the rebuild?what type and brand are the carbs?
No i switched fuels and it the black went away, the following spring I had the carbs rebuilt, they were rochester quad jet carbs.

But Yes I thought the carbs could have been the problem before I rebuilt them, but leaned them out, carb cleaner and that didnt work. Mid season two years ago I switched fuels and it went away. Then last spring I did the carbs, boat starts and runs better after that, still no black transom
Old 04-25-2013, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well if they replaced 2 pistons and did not remove the other head..think thats what you said...thats a patch job...run it for a while see what happens...watch the plugs see if you see signs of oil fouling...my bet is the engine is going to need to be gone thru correctly...