mayfair steering problem....new install. Help needed >

mayfair steering problem....new install. Help needed

Notices

mayfair steering problem....new install. Help needed

Old 04-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mayfair steering problem....new install. Help needed

I have a new mayfair inside kit with an imco outside kit. Best way to explain this problem is that when I turn the wheel to the left (lock to lock) its about 3 3/4 turns. When I turn the wheel to the right (lock to lock) its about 2 turns. Any ideas on what would cause this or has anyone experienced this before. I'm pretty sure the hoses are right. Maybe air in the lines still? I just don't know so I'm turning to the OSO members for some help please.....
Old 04-24-2013, 04:00 AM
Registered

Single or twin ram on the outside?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Alex
Single or twin ram on the outside?
It's a single ram. I'm just not familiar with hydraulics so I don't know where to start because its all new to me.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Did you verify the ram is centered when the drive is straight? 4.5" out for a 9" ram, 4" if it's an 8"
Old 04-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lil red
Did you verify the ram is centered when the drive is straight? 4.5" out for a 9" ram, 4" if it's an 8"
Went off of a pic of the previous owners measurements (11.25" from the side of the gimble housing on the driveshaft c/l) and verified it on the imco web page....which was the same. I'm just at a blank as to what it could be other then maybe air...I just don't know. It doesn't make sense unless the mount is off. I'm going to try to bleed it again on my next day off and see if that fixes it. I did notice tonight (without the motor running) there's about a 1/2" of play in the ram. I don't know if this means anything or not. This hyd. steering is all new to me.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by mustangmark
It's a single ram. I'm just not familiar with hydraulics so I don't know where to start because its all new to me.
With a single cylinder you have an unbalanced system. When the ram extends the volume of oil that is needed is X amount. When the ram retracts it uses X minus the rod diameter and and length amount of fluid. It seems right what you have. So it probably has more turns when the cylinder is fully extended and less turns when it is retracted. You might not notice but when the engine is not running it will be a little harder to turn the wheel when the cylinder is retracting. Less surface area for fluid to exert a force upon.

Last edited by Rookie; 04-24-2013 at 10:15 PM.