Crane 168731 reversion?

Notices

Crane 168731 reversion?

Old 04-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by zx6rr33
Thank you for all the input guys. Do you know if all the cams suggested will work with my Dart block? Someone earlier in the thread mentioned I might need a cam that will work with a mark IV block. Can anyone confirm that?
You should be able use either Gen cam with the right parts to install it.

The Crane #139011 is basically the same as the 168731 and made for MK IV and Gen 5's.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can i ask why when a guy ask a simple question it turns out to be a three ring circus, call bob mandera at marine kinetics he will shoot you straight. Trust me dont be afraid to call some of the big rep engine builders as eddie young he is a hell of a guy, if you spend money or not hes not afraid to lead you in the right direction. And i know mild thunder does some awesome work look at his engines, just take it from me do your research or you will be disappointed.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:03 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
Can i ask why when a guy ask a simple question it turns out to be a three ring circus, call bob mandera at marine kinetics he will shoot you straight. Trust me dont be afraid to call some of the big rep engine builders as eddie young he is a hell of a guy, if you spend money or not hes not afraid to lead you in the right direction. And i know mild thunder does some awesome work look at his engines, just take it from me do your research or you will be disappointed.
Simple, when a pole smoker gets involved wether it be the original in this case or a want to be, misinformation comes spewing out like ralph on a heavy drinking night with the boys.

I do think the OP has been put in the right direction several times after the smoke from the magic room cleared.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
Can i ask why when a guy ask a simple question it turns out to be a three ring circus.
It is very simple. There seems to be several on any web site that feel as if they should patrol each and every thread thinking that they are some sort of patrol officer for the site when in reality they are nothing but trouble makers as some in the Admin officeof OSO have stated. If you will notice, I do not go looking for them to cause an issue, but they always look for me. They know nothing about me, they have never done any business with me but yet they think they know everything about me or whatever it is that I do. I find it amusing and most of them cant say anything without stretching the truth all the way into next week as so many have pointed out to me. I could be standing next to any of them and they wouldnt have a clue. They remind me of nothing more than a bunch of little boys jealous as Hell over someone else, so they run their mouth and confirm the saying that it is better to be thought of a fool than open your mouth and confirm it. They dont know how to disagree normally without going out of their way to try to cause an issue. If you dont agree with them or if you say anything different from what they might say, then they jump all over you trying their best to belittle you or take away any credibility. Maybe I should publish some of the emails that I get from others concerning these clowns as to what they think of them but I wont say who they came from. It is funny tho because some of these people are friends with them and me. If only they knew. In short, these guys mind everyones business but their own.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by pslonaker
It is very simple. There seems to be several on any web site that feel as if they should patrol each and every thread thinking that they are some sort of patrol officer for the site when in reality they are nothing but trouble makers as some in the Admin officeof OSO have stated. If you will notice, I do not go looking for them to cause an issue, but they always look for me. They know nothing about me, they have never done any business with me but yet they think they know everything about me or whatever it is that I do. I find it amusing and most of them cant say anything without stretching the truth all the way into next week as so many have pointed out to me. I could be standing next to any of them and they wouldnt have a clue. They remind me of nothing more than a bunch of little boys jealous as Hell over someone else, so they run their mouth and confirm the saying that it is better to be thought of a fool than open your mouth and confirm it. They dont know how to disagree normally without going out of their way to try to cause an issue. If you dont agree with them or if you say anything different from what they might say, then they jump all over you trying their best to belittle you or take away any credibility. Maybe I should publish some of the emails that I get from others concerning these clowns as to what they think of them but I wont say who they came from. It is funny tho because some of these people are friends with them and me. If only they knew. In short, these guys mind everyones business but their own.
The simple fact is, you post up nonsense, and to someone who truly doesn't know engines, might just take you up on that nonsense, because they simply do not know better.

Some of the guys here, who do know engines, will call you out on your nonsense. I am not a expert by any means, but I will NOT sit here and let you recommend a 218/224* flat tappet grind for a guy who has a potentially 500HP 454 with pretty decent parts, without saying anything. Im not being a "patrol officer" as you say, Im simply looking out for the person you are steering in the wrong direction. The cam you posted, even clearly states on comp cams website, as a skiboat cam, with a max rpm of 5000RPM. But you fired back when I questioned the use of that cam in this application, saying its MUCH larger than the stock cam...umm, stock in what?? Maybe the 330HP 454 with peanut port heads.

Contrary to what you may think Paul Slonaker, nobody on oso has it out for you. You bring it on yourself with your advice you give to others.

To get back on topic, the original poster has

454 Dart Block
Dart 308 Heads
Forged internals
9:2:1 compression.

This engine with the right camshaft, preferably a hydraulic roller, can make some nice power. In my opinion, 9:2:1 is right about where i'd wanna be for a pump gas iron headed pleasure boat marine setup.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

well said patrol,i mean mild,i guess shooter puts me in that catagory also.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
The simple fact is, you post up nonsense, and to someone who truly doesn't know engines, might just take you up on that nonsense, because they simply do not know better.

Some of the guys here, who do know engines, will call you out on your nonsense. I am not a expert by any means, but I will NOT sit here and let you recommend a 218/224* flat tappet grind for a guy who has a potentially 500HP 454 with pretty decent parts, without saying anything. Im not being a "patrol officer" as you say, Im simply looking out for the person you are steering in the wrong direction. The cam you posted, even clearly states on comp cams website, as a skiboat cam, with a max rpm of 5000RPM. But you fired back when I questioned the use of that cam in this application, saying its MUCH larger than the stock cam...umm, stock in what?? Maybe the 330HP 454 with peanut port heads.

Contrary to what you may think Paul Slonaker, nobody on oso has it out for you. You bring it on yourself with your advice you give to others.

To get back on topic, the original poster has

454 Dart Block
Dart 308 Heads
Forged internals
9:2:1 compression.

This engine with the right camshaft, preferably a hydraulic roller, can make some nice power. In my opinion, 9:2:1 is right about where i'd wanna be for a pump gas iron headed pleasure boat marine setup.

HURA! Why let another guy screw up because of bad advice.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:02 AM
Banned

I have been correcting SHOOTER, pslonaker aka as polesmoker since 2008 or so when he was posting his builds/disasters on teambajamarine. Does that make me a stalker?

Paul are you really building these engines on a daily basis as you stated in an earlier post? If so whose buying them? Why are they not here defending you? Have you updated your "magic Room"? If so lets see another video.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:41 AM
Registered

Hi Guys,
So it sounds like the 168731 is the cam if I'm going roller. Is there a good cam that you would recommend if I stay with flat tappet?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by zx6rr33
Hi Guys,
So it sounds like the 168731 is the cam if I'm going roller. Is there a good cam that you would recommend if I stay with flat tappet?
I will not suggest a cam thats what the experts (Bob Madara) do but even he will not talk to you about a flat tappet. Roller is the only option in my shop and all Bob will spec out for to many good reasons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.