To bypass or not to bypass... >

To bypass or not to bypass...

Notices

To bypass or not to bypass...

Old 05-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
Thanks Mark - yes, I think tapping it is out of the question at this point. Not really too keen on pulling the whole shortblock apart again to tap the thing. I have seen plenty of others on here who have it blocked with a freeze plug. (I think I recall reading about someone who pulled apart a shortblock that had it blocked with a coin!) I think using some Loctite and staking it should keep it from going anywhere. Not much more than that holding the factory bypass in place. I might give Eddie a call later this morning to see if he might have a part number and a source for the plugs he is using. The biggest pain might be finding someone to turn it down shorter for me in a lathe. Still trying to picture how you would hold onto something so thin to run it up against a belt sander to sand down the depth, but I don't pretend to be a machinist!
Just use you fingers to hold it. After a bit it'll stick to the melted flesh.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Just take a 1" paddle bit and drill a shallow hole in a board the depth you want the freeze plug to be and use that to hold the freeze plug against a belt sander.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 MAIDEN AMERICA
Just use you fingers to hold it. After a bit it'll stick to the melted flesh.
MAIDEN, actually I figured I could just hold it in my teeth.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
Just take a 1" paddle bit and drill a shallow hole in a board the depth you want the freeze plug to be and use that to hold the freeze plug against a belt sander.
Ahhh, now THAT sounds like it just might work!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I just measured the plugs. The 20mm plug has a diameter of .800 and the 13/16" is .815. You can see that there is quite a bit of difference. It just so happens that the 13/16" plugs that I have are deeper than the 20mm. They are offered in different depths but my supplier only had these.

Here are a few pics of them side by side. The 20mm is on the right. I also attached a pic of one that is plugged with a 1/2" NPT pipe plug. That doesn't sound like an option for you if the shortblock is already assembled.

Send me your address and I will be glad to send you a plug. I'll cut it down first so all you will have to do is drive it in.
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails To bypass or not to bypass...-20mm-plug.jpg   To bypass or not to bypass...-plug.jpg   To bypass or not to bypass...-check-valve-022-large-.jpg  

Old 05-11-2013, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Got your PM Budman. I cut a plug down today and have it ready to ship to you. I'll send it out tomorrow.

Let me know if you need anything else or if I can help in any way.
Eddie
Old 05-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Plug it! Just make sure to run a large high flow filter along with allowing oil temps to stabilize before WOT runs.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
Plug it! Just make sure to run a large high flow filter along with allowing oil temps to stabilize before WOT runs.
Ryan, I might be a little bit limited on filter size, due to the thermostatic sandwich adapter I will be running. Probably can't go any larger than a stock Merc filter.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the only thing I didn't do to my block. Hope it doesn't come back to haunt me.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cp5899
This is the only thing I didn't do to my block. Hope it doesn't come back to haunt me.
cp, is yours a Gen V / VI? If it is a Mk IV, the bypass is in the filter adapter that mounts on the block. If it is Gen V/VI and you have not at least installed the 30 lb bypass in the block, then yes, you are definitely going to have problems and need to address it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.