Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Registered

Hydraulic Steering installation advice needed

I am installing a mayfair dual ram set up with the longer version of the rams. If I keep the transm mounts on the centerline of the crankshaft, my lower mounting holes are at floor level inside the boat. Can I move the mounts up 1.5"? Will this bind when I lift the motor because the lift rams are fighting the steering? Any advice would be appreciated. Did anyone else have the same issue?

Registered
    Can anyone help?

My Boats:
    1999 Pantera 24 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
    I am installing a mayfair dual ram set up with the longer version of the rams. If I keep the transm mounts on the centerline of the crankshaft, my lower mounting holes are at floor level inside the boat. Can I move the mounts up 1.5"? Will this bind when I lift the motor because the lift rams are fighting the steering? Any advice would be appreciated. Did anyone else have the same issue?
    Centerline is best but 1.5" should be okay. My Donzi was higher than that and I have seen plenty others higher than 1.5".

Registered
    My Boats:
    23' Manta O/B
    They would not be fighting the steering. Compressing both rams at the same time only moves fluid between rams. Remember you connect one side of one ram with the other side of the other ram. I racked my brain for weeks on this until a fellow OSO'er clued me in. Randy

Platinum Member Platinum Member Rookie's Avatar
    My Boats:
    30 Scarab Panther
    If you can get them to centerline do it. I noticed my cylinder rods are slightly bent because I mounted them above the centerline. I am moving them down this year.
    No matter how pretty she is, there is a guy who is sick of her S#!t