Quicksilver mirage prop question >

Quicksilver mirage prop question

Notices

Quicksilver mirage prop question

Old 05-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quicksilver mirage prop question

I was just wondering if there was any difference between a late 80's (87-89) SS mirage prop and a mid 90's mirage prop? I have a 1995 mirage 21P that has been damaged and I have found a few for sale that are barely used. The problem is that they are off of a late 80s boat. I wasnt sure if there were any differences at all between the years?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Late 80 it is a Mirage in 96 It may be a Mirage Plus. Some cup was added to the prop when they made it a Plus. Also on the later props the solid hub is the sleve replacable type. The earlier Mirages and Mirage plus had either a solid welded hub or a press in rubber hub. It can still be a fine prop. And a Mirage can be tuned into a Plus.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Payton
Late 80 it is a Mirage in 96 It may be a Mirage Plus. Some cup was added to the prop when they made it a Plus. Also on the later props the solid hub is the sleve replacable type. The earlier Mirages and Mirage plus had either a solid welded hub or a press in rubber hub. It can still be a fine prop. And a Mirage can be tuned into a Plus.
umm a mirage can not be turned into a mirage plus,,the plus has a longer blade and alot more rake then the regular mirage...its also offered in a bigger diameter..
Old 05-18-2013, 10:25 PM
Registered

Thanks, so basically if I had a 1995 non-plus mirage, I should be able to replace it with the late 80s mirage (also not a plus) and not have any issues? They were made the same?
Old 05-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should have no problems...keep in mind no two props are the same unless they are both done by the same person and the same jig's..
Old 05-19-2013, 07:48 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Originally Posted by FIXX
umm a mirage can not be turned into a mirage plus,,the plus has a longer blade and alot more rake then the regular mirage...its also offered in a bigger diameter..
Your right, but cup can be added to a Mirage to act more like a Plus. The Mirages I had liked to break free in a semi hard turn. A prop shop not far from us fixxed that by adding cup. Actually he is the one that told me that's all Merc did to make the prop a plus.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Registered

The one I have now is a 48 13244 A50 21P. The one that is listed for sale is a 48 13702 A41 21P. Does anyone know if there is a difference?

Thanks
Old 05-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

This website, Mercury Mirage Plus, 3 Blade Stainless Steel Propellers Says the 13702 is a Mirage plus. It will act like it is about an inch larger in pitch. Googling the number I found this website Mercury Marine Mirage Propellers - iboats The 13244 is a Mirage like you said. They are the same diameter 14 3/4".
Old 05-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

When switching from a standard, 21P mirage, to a 21P mirage "plus'', you might drop 100-150rpm, but plane better, cruiser better, and possible better top speed if the boat needs some bow lift.

Cupping in a prop is huge. I learned the hard way with the big SSM props. Certain 4 blade cleavers, I couldn't get on plane at all, no matter what. Slap on a set of cupped props, same diameter and pitch, planes like a ski boat.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Registered

I picked up the used prop. The only issue is that the thrust washer that was on my original mirage prop does not look like it fits the one I just got. The original prop had an insert on the bottom end of the hub and the thrust washer would fit flush into it. The used prop has a larger hub that has no insert that the washer can fit into. Basically they just rest on top of one another and it sounds like there is metal meshing when I spin it by hand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.