Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Swapping out my quadrajet for a holley 4160 or 4150 carb ''CARB GUYS COME ON IN'' >

Swapping out my quadrajet for a holley 4160 or 4150 carb ''CARB GUYS COME ON IN''

Notices

Swapping out my quadrajet for a holley 4160 or 4150 carb ''CARB GUYS COME ON IN''

Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping out my quadrajet for a holley 4160 or 4150 carb ''CARB GUYS COME ON IN''

iam swapping out my quadrajet carb for a holley 4150 or 4160 carb but have a couple questions. my boat is a 22' century with a mercruiser, the engine is a small block chevy 355 cubic inches, have a comp cams marine flat tappet camshaft, 10to1 compression, eagle crank, eagle rods, keith black hyperutetic pistons, 2.02/ 1.60 cable hump heads, gm performance cast iron intake, and a alpha one gen II v8 outdrive i beilve its 1.50 ratio?, so now thats i told you about my engine a little, help me decide what carb to purchase and or build and marineize my own 4150 or 4160 carb, i do know that the 4160 only has one metering block on one size and the 4150 have 2 metering blocks and more tuneability, also i dont what a huge carb cus theres no reason for it so iam looking at 600-650 cfm, now when i do decide on a carb, what size jets should i start off with, how many cc accelerator pumps to install, should i have vaccum secondarys or mechanical secondarys, duel feed inlet or single feed inlet, j tubes installed, and throttle linkage bracket? just wanted to get pointed in the right direction, any info is apprciated thanks matt...
Old 05-22-2013, 06:45 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

You may want to look at the Edelbrock 1409
Old 05-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Registered

not a fan at all of edelbrock carbs, trying to stick with what i know and what has proven power and tuneability, but i apprciate the help, thanks
Old 05-22-2013, 09:58 PM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mechanical 650 double pumper would be cheap & easy to find. If not a marine one you can buy J tubes. I would change to a square bore intake. Nothing wrong with a good working Q-Jet though. Good Luck
Old 05-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Registered

well if its to much work to marineize regular holley carb, iam looking at the 4150 part# 0-80559 w/mechanical secondarys or the 4160 part# 0-80551 with vacuum secondarys, what yall think?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I think the Q-jets get a bad rep just because so few people really know how to tune them. I will say this - once you get one set up, they are rock solid, trouble free, and for an application like yours can deliver just as much cfm (and power) as a Holley, and probably do it more efficiently. I ran a Q-jet for years on my warmed over 454, and it never gave me any trouble. I just had to change to a set of fatter metering rods and main jets to richen it up a little, and off I went. I miss those days now, as I am having to mess with the Holley that I am running a bit more than the Q-jet. Why did I switch? because I stepped up to a 489 with a much more aggressive cam and AFR heads. A Q-jet just couldn't feed it without major mods that are beyond my capability.

IMO, if you HAVE to run a Holley, there are plenty of square bore 715 and 750 CFM marine versions out there, or you may want to go with a spread bore Holley. I have a 715 cfm marine Holley that needs a kit that I would let go for a very reasonable price. Good luck!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GPM
You may want to look at the Edelbrock 1409
+1

Simpler, reliable and easy as hell to tune while on the water. Try that with a Holley and you'll either paddle home or explode.

Last edited by NightHawk; 05-23-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:28 AM
Registered

Monte, honestly for a 355 small block with GM heads and (I assume) stock Merc exhaust, I think you will see little if any performance gain by switching to a Holley or even an Edelbrock. If the Q-jet is running OK and not giving you driveability issues, I would leave well enough alone. If you are a tinkerer (like most of us here), and just want to play around with different combo's, then go for it, but I think it may turn out to be a waste of time and money. Now if you were running a stroker with good aftermarket heads and performance exhaust that really needs to breathe, then that would be a different matter.

The fact that you are running 10:1 CR with stock iron heads and hyper pistons concerns me. In a car, this would be just fine, but a marine environment puts everything under much more extreme loads. Couple that with the questionable gas that is often available on the water, and you could find yourself with a detonation issue, which could be disastrous for those hyper pistons. At the very least, err on the side of caution when jetting a different carb, and make sure you are running at least 91 octane fuel at all times. Also, be careful not to overprop this boat - that too can lead to detonation. Much better to run a lower pitch prop and let it wind out a bit.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by gmhdfan
Mechanical 650 double pumper would be cheap & easy to find. If not a marine one you can buy J tubes. I would change to a square bore intake. Nothing wrong with a good working Q-Jet though. Good Luck
GMHD, I was under the impression that the GM Performance cast iron manifold he is running has a dual pattern flange on it. If so, this might keep him from having to swap the intake.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Keep the quadrajet. Going to a smaller 600 or 650CFM holley will do nothing for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.