Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Fresh 454 engine build which carb should I run? >

Fresh 454 engine build which carb should I run?

Notices

Fresh 454 engine build which carb should I run?

Old 05-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fresh 454 engine build which carb should I run?

Hi Guys,
I'm just getting my Dart Big M 454 back together after a rebuild and I need some carb advice. I have a brand new Edelbrock 1410 carb as well as a stock 7.4L Quadrajet and an older Holley 850 double pumper that I just put a rebuild kit in. The engine is built as follows. Full forged rotating assembly with forged pistons and a 9.3:1 compression ratio, Mercruiser high rise dual plane intake, Dart Iron Eagle 308 heads, and a crane 132561 camshaft and Stainless Marine exhaust. I'd like to use the new Edelbrock if it will supply enough fuel and airflow for this set up. What do you think?
Old 05-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd personally run the holley. You pretty much have a old 420HP 454, with better heads and a tad more compression. . They used a 800 on those. Actually just about all those carbs will work, guess it depends which one you're most comfortable tuning.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's is what I have been told since I could walk.
Holley makes carburetors
Edelbrock makes Intakes
And comp cams made cams.
I've ran this on every build that we put together and haven't had a problem yet as far as power making combos, BUT BUT BUT
If it was me--- Sell all of those and save up and buy the QUICK FUEL 850 Mech secondaries of course. I have had great luck with these carbs, but if you choose between what you have now- Go with the HOLLEY. Best overall performance carb In my opinion. And they have been around forever.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the Ed 1410 and have had good luck with it and was able to get it at a dirt cheap price new. If I had to do it over, I'd have bought/installed a holley 800. IMO, you can never have enough fuel.....we'll unless you're on fire.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:55 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by high bid
I'd have bought/installed a holley 800. IMO, you can never have enough fuel.....we'll unless you're on fire.
Sure you can. If you are loading every time you go through a 6mph zone is a pain in the ass.
Had your motor before (or something close) and I used a the 750 Edl. Just the right size.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:04 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Larger carbs don't necessarily mean more fuel. CFM is a measurement of air. Many times if you go to a larger carb, such as going from a 750 to a 850 Holley, you will have to increase jet size as well if all else is equal in the carbs.

My boat actually gets better economy with twin 850's tuned right then it did with a single 1050 . Too much fuel is a mixture problem, whether its a 750, 850, edelbrock , Holley, or even efi.