Trash In Fuel Filter? Areomotive Pukeing? or

Notices

Trash In Fuel Filter? Areomotive Pukeing? or

Old 05-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Trash In Fuel Filter? Areomotive Pukeing? or

This is the first time Ive ever had any trash in my Hustler fuel filters, it looks like 3 diff kinds of trash,I buy my fuel from the same gas station every time,I even fill up before going out of town,Tow full. Fill up at Cheveron 93 oct mostly on week nights,condensed and less traffic

Ive had the boat since 2002

I know Areomotive had some a1000 pumps go bad, 2000-2003 ,glue was coming off the winding's inside the pump,My pumps were rebuild/so-called updated in 2005,

The inline filter is infront of the pump.

When I put fuel in the boat at the slip I use this blue tank.with pump and filter.

When I work on fuel system I put plug/caps on all hoses and fittings etc.never left open,also its in both filters

I do not have a fuel water separator before the Areomotive pump and inline filter,

The set up has a bypass system, #6 return line top tank.

2009 when I did a complete redooof the hole boat,I pulled the filler hose off the tank and looked inside and there was no trash in the bottom,I could see in there pretty good..

The inline filter is a 100 micron stainless steel mesh.

I am also putting a inline 10 micron filter after the pump now.

I also ran a drum if 110 race fuel mixed in the gas end of last season,to get a little lead in the seats/guides,etc. most of I put in was thru a filter,best I can remember the fuel jugs didn't have any trash in them,there clear,

these pictures are zoomed in pretty close,making it look bigger,the black pieces are flat like a flakes,

no the bug wasent in the tank

All the fittings are Earls swivel seal,the hose is the performaflex,all new in 2005,the return lines are new 2009.

Im wondering if I got it from the gas station? or the ethanol is eating the steel braided hoses inside rubber? I still have the motors out,so im fixing to ck the fuel lines.

If the Aremotive is puking again I would think it would be getting stuck in the injectors? Ive had all that apart when I had to buy new Whipples this year.

What do you all think? or am I being too anal and this is not that much/the filter is doing its job?

Thanks for the help

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Trash In Fuel Filter? Areomotive Pukeing? or-2012-05-30_18_03_12.jpg   Trash In Fuel Filter? Areomotive Pukeing? or-engine-001-custom-.jpg   Trash In Fuel Filter? Areomotive Pukeing? or-engine-006-custom-.jpg  

Trash In Fuel Filter? Areomotive Pukeing? or-4-1-05%2520053.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Rob
VIP Member

..........................picks

#1 and 2 i think are the same,the black is thin,its not like a piece of rubber,it would crack if folded, the yellow looking one like a fingernail .maybe varnish. but there is no signs of this stuff anywhere else,

also I drain my tanks every winter,

[/URL]

Attached Thumbnails Trash In Fuel Filter? Areomotive Pukeing? or-outdrive-1-14-2010-026-large-.jpg   Trash In Fuel Filter? Areomotive Pukeing? or-img_0108-large-.jpg   Trash In Fuel Filter? Areomotive Pukeing? or-img_0005-custom-.jpg  

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 05-25-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Old 05-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Rob
VIP Member

here is a pick of when i ran the fuel water separator, the areomotove pump was/is not strong enough to prime with it inline. Ive never gotten any water out of my 23 years

Old 05-25-2013, 07:40 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Do you think the material that you found is coming from the inner linings of your fuel lines. One of your pics looks like the same inner linings that the Merc fuel line uses for their outboards. I know you do not have the same fuel line as Merc outboards but the one pic looks exactly the same crap that breaks up as theirs . Sometimes we see from the fuel line at the gas tank to the water sep fuel filter break up and gets trap in that filter. Its the rubber coming apart inside of that fuel line as being old. We cut open a lot of those filters to see whats going on. Anyways just a thought.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:54 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strip, I'm setting the fuel system up on my whipped motors, I have the fuel pump at the same place you got yours, I was going to mount the fuel water separators that come with the kit in the same place as the stock ones are at like in your plc but your saying the aero pumps are not strong enough to pull the fuel up there???did you ditch the the fuel and water separators? any help would be great...thanks Joe
Old 05-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by tcwcar
Strip, I'm setting the fuel system up on my whipped motors, I have the fuel pump at the same place you got yours, I was going to mount the fuel water separators that come with the kit in the same place as the stock ones are at like in your plc but your saying the aero pumps are not strong enough to pull the fuel up there???did you ditch the the fuel and water separators? any help would be great...thanks Joe
Joe I did take off the fuel water seperators,but I knock on wood, have never had water in it,not sure what comes in in the whipple kit now, they switch back and forth with areomotive and sx and whoever, I would asume they come with the marine black pumps, Mine would not pull the fuel, i have a #10 lane that went to the water seperator from the tank, so thats about 2 2/12 ft from the bottom of the fuel tank,some times when it got low on gas it would not prime, i had to pressureze the gas tank,i think the wipple kit bypasses back to the filter head,I thnk the stock location of the water seperator is low compaired to mine, mine has a aftermarket one mounted up high.that could of be the prob.mine bypasses back to the tank so I do not have a fuel cooler,

on my boat I could prob put the water seperators on the bulkhead where the fuel line comes out that would be a bunch of 90 fittings, didnt want to take a chance of restrictions,

Also when the system is dry I hav eto jack up the fronk of the boat to get it primes for the first time of the season, my set up has been working fine since 2005 and up to 883 hp.

do ya have 500efi/s

hope this helps
Rob

Old 05-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BUP
Do you think the material that you found is coming from the inner linings of your fuel lines. One of your pics looks like the same inner linings that the Merc fuel line uses for their outboards. I know you do not have the same fuel line as Merc outboards but the one pic looks exactly the same crap that breaks up as theirs . Sometimes we see from the fuel line at the gas tank to the water sep fuel filter break up and gets trap in that filter. Its the rubber coming apart inside of that fuel line as being old. We cut open a lot of those filters to see whats going on. Anyways just a thought.
Thatnks for the help. I dont think it is, unless the rubber is pealing of as a layer, and is turning hard, the flat peices are hard ,will break in 1/2, unless its dried out from sitting since Oct 2012.

Im going to cut open one of the lines when I ad the 10 micron filter and disect it,

I was under the impression, that the ethonal turn the rubber in to a mushy melted looking rubber.

All these peices were hard

the clear peice kinda looks like the clear stuff you see melted over the inside of a eletric motor windings.guessing though.

Rob

Old 05-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your help Rob...they were 500efis, there 509s, afr 335 heads, crane 681 cams, the fuel pumps are the the black aeros, no filter with the kit has a filter water serp. made by whipple, fram filter...guess I got to bump up my membership so I can post pics..
Old 05-28-2013, 11:04 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by tcwcar
Thanks for your help Rob...they were 500efis, there 509s, afr 335 heads, crane 681 cams, the fuel pumps are the the black aeros, no filter with the kit has a filter water serp. made by whipple, fram filter...guess I got to bump up my membership so I can post pics..

email me and ill post them rstringer3 at comcast.net

Rob