Name that failure! >

Name that failure!

Notices

Name that failure!

Old 05-29-2013, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Bearings don't always get damaged like that, besides I don't see a pic of the bearing to see that anyway, that is detonation period, ask me how I know.....lol and yes a 10 second WOT pass can and WILL do that.....
this statement is 100 percent correct!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
If detonation did all of that damage I would expect to see bearing damage from being hammered to death. Yes I know that detonation is caused by a lean condition. But usually detonation bad enough to cause that much melting would crack the piston. For some reason that cylinder went lean. I would think if the head gasket went bad or the head lifted you would have a burn mark on the head or the block. That damage didn't happen in ten seconds. ten seconds running lean melts eyebrows - ask me how I know.
detonation is not always due to a lean condition,in this case it appears to be from to much ignition timing or to low of octane fuel,when you burn an eyebrow,that is almost always from being to lean.and this failure could have happened in less than 10 seconds.my spelling&grammar might not be correct,but i am well versed on supercharged engines and diagnosis of failures.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
detonation is not always due to a lean condition,in this case it appears to be from to much ignition timing or to low of octane fuel,when you burn an eyebrow,that is almost always from being to lean.and this failure could have happened in less than 10 seconds.my spelling&grammar might not be correct,but i am well versed on supercharged engines and diagnosis of failures.
Finally... Someone who see it same as I do.... So may opinions are so off sometimes!!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
That doesn't look like detonation to me - That piston melted badly. Are You running headers? Did the header lose water for that cylinder? If it did that cylinder would have run lean.
please explain how 1 tube could be dry but the others flowing water and how this can make a cylinder go lean.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rod bearings are flawless. (I AM NOT) But could reuse them without any issues. Not even a scuff on the surface.

Injectors have been tested and flowed at FIC and were SPOT on.

Leaning towards possible injector driver.

I would NEVER ever put a frozen boost intercooler on my boat, as those cores are junk and offer horrible cooling. The new core i'm using for this build is the 1000 hp Garret core. Seen here. Garrett Air to Liquid Intercooler Core 1000HP : atpturbo.com

I build race Jetskis, and have tested all the ebay / frozen boost cores vs precision core, and garret core. Trust me the difference was insane, all testing was done with Motec standalone datalogging software.

I'm going to snatch a photo today of all the pistons so we can see the burn patern across the cylinders. Really appreciate everyone's input on this.

Last edited by Mtuned; 05-29-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mtuned
Rod bearings are flawless. (I AM NOT) But could reuse them without any issues. Not even a scuff on the surface.

Injectors have been tested and flowed at FIC and were SPOT on.

Leaning towards possible injector driver.

I would NEVER ever put a frozen boost intercooler on my boat, as those cores are junk and offer horrible cooling. The new core i'm using for this build is the 1000 hp Garret core. Seen here. Garrett Air to Liquid Intercooler Core 1000HP : atpturbo.com

I build race Jetskis, and have tested all the ebay / frozen boost cores vs precision core, and garret core. Trust me the difference was insane, all testing was done with Motec standalone datalogging software.

I'm going to snatch a photo today of all the pistons so we can see the burn patern across the cylinders. Really appreciate everyone's input on this.

you say the rod bearing looks perfect but did you measure it with a bearing micrometer,it can look like new and still be junk.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didin't myself, That's all off at the machine shop now. How ever bearing shell was still tight in the rod, which is a good sign.

Time will tell, I just want to figure it out so I have this figured out for the new long block! Only thing worse then blowing up a engine.. Is doing it twice!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

"Injectors have been tested and flowed at FIC and were SPOT on.

Leaning towards possible injector driver."
I am going to assume that because you are running 42 lb injectors that you are also running a factory merc /delphi mefi3 ecu. If so your probably NOT going to find a problem with the injector driver because- Mefi's are BATCH fire, your ECU is firing a batch of FOUR injectors everytime it fires, if there was a problem with one of the 2 injector drivers, you would have problemss with four injectors, Smitty
Old 05-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

As far as your injector "size" being too small, it is common for fuel press to be bumped up on these procharged applications, a 42lb injector becomes a 53lb injector when press is raised from 43.5 to 70 psi which will very easily support 600 hp at .55 bsfc, ideal, no but has been used on LOTS of stuff.I don't believe your injectors suddenly became "too small" with no other changes in past 3 years. IF you were reusing tjose injectprs (which your not) I would STILL throw away the one that was on the cyl that melted down even IF it tested good juct in case it is a intermittent problem. Are your new 1000 cc (96lb) injectors also high impedance, I just started seeing some high impedance injectors that big in past year or so but still hard to find, Smitty
Old 05-29-2013, 08:41 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

What cylinder did that piston come out of ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.