Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Name that failure! >

Name that failure!

Notices

Name that failure!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had mud plug up the water hose going to just one header tube thus that header tube runs much hotter than all of the others. Hotter means better scavenging. Lean condition on just that cylinder.

That piston melted due to a lean condition. I never said that the bearings were damaged. I said IF it was detonation that destroyed that piston I felt the bearings would have been hammered.
The top ring came off WHEN the top of the piston melted off. I have melted pistons many times and they were NOT caused by detonation. That piston melted and coated the cylinder with it. That one cylinder ran lean for a lot longer than 10 seconds. If the head lifted off of the block it would have melted the head gasket also. I run EGT gauges on my engines for a reason.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
As far as your injector "size" being too small, it is common for fuel press to be bumped up on these procharged applications, a 42lb injector becomes a 53lb injector when press is raised from 43.5 to 70 psi which will very easily support 600 hp at .55 bsfc, ideal, no but has been used on LOTS of stuff.I don't believe your injectors suddenly became "too small" with no other changes in past 3 years. IF you were reusing tjose injectprs (which your not) I would STILL throw away the one that was on the cyl that melted down even IF it tested good juct in case it is a intermittent problem. Are your new 1000 cc (96lb) injectors also high impedance, I just started seeing some high impedance injectors that big in past year or so but still hard to find, Smitty
Yes High Impedance, and they will be controlled by a tuned flash in the ECU. We now have 2200CC HIGH Z injectors that can idle stoich at IPW of 1.10-1.20 MS Amazing how technology has progressed!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GPM
What cylinder did that piston come out of ?
Number 6 Sir. 3rd Back on left side of engine.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
"Injectors have been tested and flowed at FIC and were SPOT on.

Leaning towards possible injector driver."
I am going to assume that because you are running 42 lb injectors that you are also running a factory merc /delphi mefi3 ecu. If so your probably NOT going to find a problem with the injector driver because- Mefi's are BATCH fire, your ECU is firing a batch of FOUR injectors everytime it fires, if there was a problem with one of the 2 injector drivers, you would have problemss with four injectors, Smitty
Its an MEFI4, still fire the same though.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:32 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtuned
Number 6 Sir. 3rd Back on left side of engine.
Thanks, I was just curious where that piston was when number 4 fired.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
I have had mud plug up the water hose going to just one header tube thus that header tube runs much hotter than all of the others. Hotter means better scavenging. Lean condition on just that cylinder.

That piston melted due to a lean condition. I never said that the bearings were damaged. I said IF it was detonation that destroyed that piston I felt the bearings would have been hammered.
The top ring came off WHEN the top of the piston melted off. I have melted pistons many times and they were NOT caused by detonation. That piston melted and coated the cylinder with it. That one cylinder ran lean for a lot longer than 10 seconds. If the head lifted off of the block it would have melted the head gasket also. I run EGT gauges on my engines for a reason.
maybe you should stick to correcting spelling&grammar,or be a spelling b captian,you are better at that than you are understanding what is going on inside a cylinder.now flame away tough guy.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Registered

Always an A S S. Keep it up MIKE. - You don't know a thing about me but YOU know everything. If you are so smart - You tell me why car headers are so much better than boat headers when everything is the same. DUH
How many engines have you built? How many pistons have you seen melted?
Old 05-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
Always an A S S. Keep it up MIKE. - You don't know a thing about me but YOU know everything. If you are so smart - You tell me why car headers are so much better than boat headers when everything is the same. DUH
How many engines have you built? How many pistons have you seen melted?
arent you going to correct my spelling,i will keep it up,what are you going to do about it tough guy?i know by what you say that you dont know ****,just think you do,you are just a big mouth -no brain -PUNK.now go back to the spelling b.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Registered

and yes i am an ass AMERICAN SUPER STAR.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Registered

HEY STUPID - You must have me confused with someone that cares about your spelling. I don't care. - It just proves how stupid you are.
You didn't answer my question... MR LOUD MOUTH KNOW IT ALL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.