Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Boat dies when put into gear... Need help! >

Boat dies when put into gear... Need help!

Notices

Boat dies when put into gear... Need help!

Old 05-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glen george
Check the safety switch on the shifter? You could also run a hot wire to the dist and bypass the safety switch.
I am going to look into this tomorrow. I will let you know what I find.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by glen george
Check the safety switch on the shifter? You could also run a hot wire to the dist and bypass the safety switch.
Wouldn't a issue with the safety switch be present on the trailer when running? Most boats with transmissions use a neutral safety switch on the trans itself.

As ive said a couple times, I'd look into the carb. But apparently the O.P. isn't interested in that.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Wouldn't a issue with the safety switch be present on the trailer when running? Most boats with transmissions use a neutral safety switch on the trans itself.

As ive said a couple times, I'd look into the carb. But apparently the O.P. isn't interested in that.
I will look into the carb and appreciate the help very much. I am not able to get to the boat right now but when I do I will let you know what the screws are set at. I hope it is something as simple as that. Thanks again for your help.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Fountain Family
I will look into the carb and appreciate the help very much. I am not able to get to the boat right now but when I do I will let you know what the screws are set at. I hope it is something as simple as that. Thanks again for your help.
Sorry wasn't trying to be a jerk, just I've seen this a hundred times. The carbs always need a tweaking after being ran on the dyno and installed in the boat. Keep us posted
Old 05-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Registered

Yes.but as mild thunder said look to the carbs first.lot cheaper.i still have 1 motor the rpm drop is greater than the other however i haven't had a chance to play with it with this wonderful weather we've been having here.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

what kind of ignition system do you have? I had the same issue on my scarab years ago....turns out my MSD distributor had one broken spring inside it...ran fine when at idle...could rev it and everything....but would die as soon as it was put in gear....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 05-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
what kind of ignition system do you have? I had the same issue on my scarab years ago....turns out my MSD distributor had one broken spring inside it...ran fine when at idle...could rev it and everything....but would die as soon as it was put in gear....
I have a brand new DUI Distributor.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Payton
How is your ignition timing?
Timing is set to 34. Is that where it should be?
Old 05-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fountain Family
Timing is set to 34. Is that where it should be?
That is the total timing which is fine, but what is the idle timing set at? As Mild Thunder stated "More timing advance at idle (must make changes to ignition system via a different module, springs, or whatever your setup is, cant just turn distributor)".
But I would definitely start with adjusting the carb, because the back fire "assuming the back fire is through the carb" indicates that it is running lean. Fix that and it will have the power to go into gear.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

What carb do you have on it now? A 850 has to be set up different than a dominator.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.