Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Boat dies when put into gear... Need help! >

Boat dies when put into gear... Need help!

Notices

Boat dies when put into gear... Need help!

Old 06-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same issue. I've got a 580hp 496ci. Boat starts great and idles fine in neutral. I got out to the middle of the lake today and shut it down to play with the radio. It started back up. But repeatedly died when put into forward gear. Oddly enough I could get it to hold an idle the one time i tried reverse. I'm running an 850 also and the idle screws were set to exactly 2 turns out. Any idea where to start? Once I was back at the dock it also idled OK. I guess it had about an hour to cool down before that happened.timing is set to 16 initial and 34 total.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by cjmatt
I'm having the same issue. I've got a 580hp 496ci. Boat starts great and idles fine in neutral. I got out to the middle of the lake today and shut it down to play with the radio. It started back up. But repeatedly died when put into forward gear. Oddly enough I could get it to hold an idle the one time i tried reverse. I'm running an 850 also and the idle screws were set to exactly 2 turns out. Any idea where to start? Once I was back at the dock it also idled OK. I guess it had about an hour to cool down before that happened.timing is set to 16 initial and 34 total.
Try blowing out the idle air bleeds with carb clean using the little red straw
Old 06-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Try backing out the idle mixture screws 1/2 -3/4 turn each. Don't jack up the idle speed screw any more. Also, if that doesn't work, try blowing out the air bleeds in the carb with carb clean and the little red straw. Theres no load on the engine on the driveway when you put it in gear. Its loaded down in the water, with the prop turning. With increased load, it needs more air/fuel mix.

+1 gotta get your idle mixture correct to keep the engine running with that load on the engine.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Registered

Ok, I'll give that a shot. I'm going to take it off and try to get it the transition slot set correctly too
Old 05-25-2015, 08:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fountain Family
1.5 turns out.
Did this end up fixing your stalling issue?