Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
2000 Formula Fastech Blows shore GFI when main boat AC breaker is flipped on - HELP! >

2000 Formula Fastech Blows shore GFI when main boat AC breaker is flipped on - HELP!

Notices

2000 Formula Fastech Blows shore GFI when main boat AC breaker is flipped on - HELP!

Old 01-29-2014, 07:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bajamann
Called Formula. They say the problem is the galvanic isolator which causes a typical class A gfi to trip. They recommend a class B gfi receptacle which allows for higher amp leakage before tripping. Problem is I can't locate a class B gfi.
Also the problem is you can't change every receptacle at everywhere you want to plug in. This sucks, in Lake Cumberland couldn't hook up to power because they have regular GFI on some of their docks instead of shore power plug. Such a simple issue without a fix? Really perplexing.

Last edited by VoodooRob; 01-29-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by poulsen11@yahoo.
Just wanted to update the group:

I just talked to Formula Boats of Missouri (Who were AWESOME on the phone). They said there is a pro-mariner GFI protection device installed on formulas from about 2000-2008. It is incompatible with other GFI devices and that this is the cause of the problem.

They are supposed to relay me some instructions on how to pull the fuses to the device to fix the issue. Once i get those instructions, i will post.

Very excited to see if this resolves my issue!
Is there a replacement that will cure the problem available?
Old 08-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys did anybody ever resolve this issue? I just picked up a 2006 330SS and I'm tripping the breakers on dock... This driving me nuts...
Old 08-19-2014, 07:25 AM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by poulsen11@yahoo.
Just wanted to update the group:

I just talked to Formula Boats of Missouri (Who were AWESOME on the phone). They said there is a pro-mariner GFI protection device installed on formulas from about 2000-2008. It is incompatible with other GFI devices and that this is the cause of the problem.

They are supposed to relay me some instructions on how to pull the fuses to the device to fix the issue. Once i get those instructions, i will post.

Very excited to see if this resolves my issue!

Poulsen did you ever receive the instructions for the fix of the GFI problem? Can you post for us to use?

Thanks
JB
Old 08-19-2014, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found the problem and the solution, here is what I posted in the other thread I started...
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ease-help.html

"Problem fixed... It was the monitoring system for the galvanic isolator. Pulled the fuses that run from the monitoring box to the AC panel, plugged in the boat and everything came online.
It is my understanding from reading another thread (link below) that when that system fires up it runs a check and puts some amount of voltage, or amperage, or something, to the ground which in turns pops the breaker... Anyways it's not the perfect fix, my galvanic isolator is working however the little test panel in the cabin does not run. I'm not sure there is a fix for that, I'm going to call ProMariner and see if they have anything.

Thanks for all the help guys.... Here is a link that thread again in case anybody else has the same issue."
http://www.regalownersforum.com/foru...P+GFI+Tripping
Old 08-19-2014, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

2 gfci's in a circuit many times causes issues. The gfci's on power cords (ie lifts, shore power) when plugged into the gfci outlets can be especially troublesome. Find a way to keep 1 gf in your circuit.
)