Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Who has red underwater LEDs and / or red LED interior lights? >

Who has red underwater LEDs and / or red LED interior lights?

Notices

Who has red underwater LEDs and / or red LED interior lights?

Old 06-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Who has red underwater LEDs and / or red LED interior lights?

Thinking of putting red underwater LED's on the 242 and wondering how it will look? The boat is a 86 Formula 242 and has a teak swim platform. Does anybody have pics of your boat with them on. Im looking for a surface mount. Also what about red cockpit and engine lights? How do they look? I was thinking of getting the red/ white LEDs Anybody have good suggestions on where to get them too? I looked on Ebay and there are a ton of them but which ones are good and which ones are crap
Old 06-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifeform

Pat ,the red does not produce as many lumen as other colors like white (brightest) or blue. So good water conditions are needed for best output.
Member wowchad just did some red/green which should produce a rust/orange color.

I can sell these for less than MSRP. Blue Wolf NVIS & Marine Underwater LED lighting

Hope this helps a bit. Ps anything from West marine for like $50 is junk! This is one of those things. You get what ya pay for!

Here's a pic of a blue 6
Attached Thumbnails Who has red underwater LEDs and / or red LED interior lights?-crop-led-pic-blue.jpg  
Old 06-03-2013, 12:30 AM
Registered

I got all of my interior lights from superbrightled.com. I did blue and love it
Old 06-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have these strips under the gunnels all the way around the boat, they are cheap but they last 1-2 years before the salt gets to them.
Amazon.com: RGB 5M Waterproof Epoxy 5050 300 SMD LED Strip Light: Home Improvement

running off of this controller, you can have any color you want and they change color with the music if you want
LEDwholesalersTM IR Music Controller 60 Watt 3 Ports With Remote for Color Changing LEDs, 3322RGB - Amazon.com

Under the t-top I have two of these, very high quality and nice and bright (I have the white, red, blue model)
Amazon.com: Lumitec Lighting Halo White Flush Mount Down Dimmable Light-White/Blue/Red (1.99-Inch Diameter, 3-Inch Diameter when used with Retrofit Kit (Lumitec P/N 101073)): Sports & Outdoors

For underwater lights I have white Xenon Sea Vision SV-20, red underwater lights are a bad idea they won't get out very far.

And for spreader lights I have Rigid industries dually D2's spot and floods, and a 10" combo. All white.

It is nice to have RGB leds since you can change the color to suit your mood or activity. Red is good since it doesn't mess up your night vision, but other colors can be more fun when you are at the dock or anchored up somewhere. They all should be off when you are running so that only your nav lights show.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have red interior lights through out my cockpit, from superbrightleds.com and they are perfect. Nice thing with the red is they do not impact your night vision so you can leave them on while under power without hindering your ability to see,,

Old 06-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Registered

Got a buddy with a Hammer, and he has just put on red underwater LEDs. they look damn good, he is on this form too. Felix is his name.

check int he baja section for a thread of his and he can post them, I will text him and have him post up too.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mittens
Got a buddy with a Hammer, and he has just put on red underwater LEDs. they look damn good, he is on this form too. Felix is his name.

check int he baja section for a thread of his and he can post them, I will text him and have him post up too.
Thanks for the heads up. Felix was taken, so I couldn't use my normal screen name.

As for my lights, they spread and shoot way out, even in our murky water. Here is a thread with some info on my lights: Southern Motorboating - View topic - LED Lighting - Who needs some?

They are a high quality light. I searched forever before I settle on these. I was so impressed with the company and products I signed up to be a dealer for them, at my business.

I can get you some for $235 each.

Originally Posted by Info
Features: 100% Waterproof, White Light Output, Wide Flood Beam, 9 - 32 Volts DC, 2 Wire Installation or Duetsch Plug, 720 Lumens, Durable 6061 Alumninum, Scratch Resistant Polycarbonate Lens

This shot is next to a friend with 4 ocean LEDs:

Last edited by Justin; 06-05-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Registered

I used led trailer lights up in the gunnels for cockpit lights. Cheap and easy, you don't see the actual lights on my boat, just the light they emit.

I would like to get some of those underwater lights tho, I would like the red but worried about the washout with the red wavelength. The ones above look pretty good, how clear is the water the pictures were taken in?
Old 06-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
The ones above look pretty good, how clear is the water the pictures were taken in?
It's not Mississippi River muddy, but it's not Gulf clear, either. That's why I call it murky.

Mittens may can chime with an opinion/desciption, too. That's his boat with the warm white (yellow) lights.

Last edited by Justin; 06-05-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Registered

Justin and me boat in the Tenneessee river. its as muddy as it gets. Cant see your props floating on a sunny day.

Last edited by mittens; 06-05-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.