High oil temperature ? >

High oil temperature ?

Notices

High oil temperature ?

Old 06-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MOP
Called Ken Chachi the temps I posted and run my stoker at are correct and are far more beneficial to the life of your engine, cold oil makes for the white goo in your valve covers which over time leads to broken springs we know where that leads!
Not sure who Ken Chachi is.

I do know, most big HP MARINE engine builders, wouldn't care for oil temps continuously at 250*. One of the biggest builders, Mercury Marine, and Mercury racing, do not set their engines up to run those kind of oil temps.

In automotive, oil temperatures normally remain consistent with coolant temp. Also why some vehicles have engine oil coolers built into the radiator, and still have a external cooler in front of radiator to keep things cool. Mainly you see that in trucks, setup for towing.
Attached Thumbnails High oil temperature ?-wmoil-temp-chart.jpg  
Old 06-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Not sure who Ken Chachi is.

I do know, most big HP MARINE engine builders, wouldn't care for oil temps continuously at 250*. One of the biggest builders, Mercury Marine, and Mercury racing, do not set their engines up to run those kind of oil temps.

In automotive, oil temperatures normally remain consistent with coolant temp. Also why some vehicles have engine oil coolers built into the radiator, and still have a external cooler in front of radiator to keep things cool. Mainly you see that in trucks, setup for towing.
OMG you Dont know who ken chachi is??
Old 06-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FIXX
OMG you Dont know who ken chachi is??
Am I supposed to ?
Old 06-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Am I supposed to ?
No comprendo here as well, who is ken chachi?

BTW, that chart is exactly right. You should run 180f cruise and let the temp rise for a wot blast. This idea of running above 212f on the gage to eliminate condensation is falicy. The oil cycling gets much hotter than the gage will ever read.

Last edited by blue thunder; 06-08-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by blue thunder
No comprendo here as well, who is ken chachi?

BTW, that chart is exactly right. You should run 180f cruise and let the temp rise for a wot blast. This idea of running above 212f on the gage to eliminate condensation is falicy. The oil cycling gets much hotter than the gage will ever read.
I never used to have oil stats. At wot, maybe i'd see 140* at most. Never had condensation issues, and when engines tore down after 6-7 seasons, bearings looked great.

I did however install the Merc HP500 style oil stats and plate style coolers when rebuilding last year. Couldn't be happier with the setup. My temp gauges will sit at 180* all day long cruising, and have had it WFO for 6-7 miles straight at 5600-5800RPM, sits at 210 and no hotter.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem ended up to be faulty gauges. I installed 2 new gauges and my temperatures on both engines are running about 180, 190 at cruise and go up to 215, at wot blast.