Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
ProCharged 502 Checkmate Prop >

ProCharged 502 Checkmate Prop

Notices

ProCharged 502 Checkmate Prop

Old 06-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a board member here on OSO, believe his site name is smitty? He's been running something like 1100-1200 hp through his Bravo out drive, and has rebuilt it a few times over the years. Think he's a machinist or transmission guy ?? Anyways he has come up with a way to reenforce the B1 tower and innards to handle the big power. Wish I was sure of his site name. But, maybe he will chime in if he catches wind of this thread. Nothing like experience!!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kidnova
There's a board member here on OSO, believe his site name is smitty? He's been running something like 1100-1200 hp through his Bravo out drive, and has rebuilt it a few times over the years. Think he's a machinist or transmission guy ?? Anyways he has come up with a way to reenforce the B1 tower and innards to handle the big power. Wish I was sure of his site name. But, maybe he will chime in if he catches wind of this thread. Nothing like experience!!
That;s Articfriends and yes he has done a lot of R&D with Bravos. So has Mr Gadgets. Both good guys. I've heard good things about George but he is definitely much more of a "salesman".
Old 06-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NyTrix
Your guess is as good as mine. I figure at 150hp less than what he rates them at people can beat on them pretty hard without having to call him to fix it once a season. He's judging my power by the engine x the boost lbs I'm running. ProCharger even told me that a fresh 502efi w/ 7lbs will be right at or above 700hp. Therefore I need a new pulley to get down to about 5lbs which they say I will then be at 645hp. After dumping a bunch of money into it I'd like it to be covered for a little while.

How much speed do you think I'd loose with a 28P?
Take away the 10% Procharger marketing hype and you're at 630 hp.

What kind of speed do you run now?
Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
Take away the 10% Procharger marketing hype and you're at 630 hp.

What kind of speed do you run now?
I just got the boat last season and between the fear of blowing up the outdrive (which happened anyway) and being new to this kind of speed I never took it to WOT. The guy you owned it for the 16 years before me said it would run right around 80mph. Not sure if he ever checked it on gps or not. At the speedo I had it to 75 at 4200rpm.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
That;s Articfriends and yes he has done a lot of R&D with Bravos. So has Mr Gadgets. Both good guys. I've heard good things about George but he is definitely much more of a "salesman".
Yup - Articfriends is the guy I was thinking of.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Registered

smitty knows his stuff on this....I can run just over 80GPS with my 28 bravo 1 stock prop, @5600 hope you have Hyd steering !!!..also I ease on plane....and careful if comes out of the water...stock drive...
Old 06-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
smitty knows his stuff on this....I can run just over 80GPS with my 28 bravo 1 stock prop, @5600 hope you have Hyd steering !!!..also I ease on plane....and careful if comes out of the water...stock drive...
My Xmate is about the slowest thing on the water coming out of the whole...and I'm just fine with that. Hdy steering is the one thing I wish I had. How much does a decent setup cost? and how hard is it to install? Also, how does you 253 handle rough water? I don't like to see air too much so I usually take it pretty easy.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Registered

Post #16 excellent advice on the hydraulic steering. I went with an add on system (I know, half azz) for safety sake. If you're going fast, even kind'a fast, hydraulic can help you be safe in case of a steering failure and I would not be with out it.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Registered

if you do not have Hyd the boat is unsafe...period ! any boat that runs 70 or better needs it now...if you ever saw the result in a broken internal steering arm you would understand...this setup is typical of someone throwing in a bunch of H/P and not worrying about the dangers...and then selling...my boat handles great...am running full Hyd dual ram...did the 80mph blast years ago in my 251 with no Hyd steering...pulled engine right back out..knew it was unsafe...you need to rethink your boat..now before something happens
Old 06-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

The drive mods are a pretty well known combination of upgrades that most everyone uses including Max worx, mr gadgets. american drive etc (thicker top cap, billet shafts, good clearences, steel towers, cryo treated gears, top of the line oil etc). I have set up quite a few lowers and experimented with different treatments to gear surface in my quest to get gears to last as long as possible but bought my upgraded shafts and case parts from Max worx as I did not design or manufacture them . Obviously the taller prop you run and more boost you run the easier it will be to break your drive and how they can even put a warranty one is beyond me as some guys can break anything BUT if George is willing tio warranty it with a certain pulley and prop then it would be wise to go that direction to get him to stand behind it as you can spend THOUSANDS to fix it again and again. There is nothing magic done to my drive over a fully optioned out one from the 3 places I mentioned, its just a matter of staying away from props that are too tall or have to many blades, changing the oil frequently and in my case because of the power level I am at I tear my drive down every 20-40 hours and inspect/ replace parts as neccesary, I have broken several billet vertical shafts, one billet prop shaft, 1 upper shaft , went thru over a dozen sets of lower gears and luckily I have a set of the good early xr upper gears that seem to just last and last. I tried a 5 blade maximus once when I only had 950 hp, it lowered my slip to around 10% and I sheared off a billet prop shaft the first day of testing it, I stay far away from 5 blades since then , I also run a 30 labbed most of the time and just spin motor to about 6200 around 95-96 mph, when I want to really run I drop pulley size 1 size and run a 32 labbed but it tears drive up 10 times faster, like in one or 2 weekends vs 1 summer, good luck with your boat and be safe. if you can spin a 28 with less boost you should be somewhere in mid to high 70's depending on your slip. As far as hyd steering, should be a must for you , boat will be night and day better, I started by going to twin ram external, boat still wandered all over the place, went full to the helm and it is on rails. Expect to spend 2500-3500 on full to helm twin ram but its well worth it, Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 06-08-2013 at 02:12 PM.