Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Stock Weber Carb changes for Engine upgrades ? >

Stock Weber Carb changes for Engine upgrades ?

Notices

Stock Weber Carb changes for Engine upgrades ?

Old 06-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Weber Carb changes for Engine upgrades ?

I have a stock 1994 GEN V 454 330. I am adding decent aluminum heads, the 139011 roller cam, lifters, roller rockers, air gap intake, and IMCO Powerflow manifolds.

What do I need to do to the carburetor? Also, should I add a better fuel pump?

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock Weber carb on those engines often had staggered jet sizes. Different on the left and right sides. You may want to even those up with your new intake. Get a calibration kit from Edelbrock. It will have all the different jets and metering rods and will fit the Weber.

http://store.edelbrock.com/tuningaccessories.aspx

Last edited by NightHawk; 06-06-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:00 PM
Registered

Is that all I'll need?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the tuning kit comes with lots of different jets for both the primary and secondary. It also has the various step-up springs of different weight and metering rods. Al easily changeable with just a flathead screwdriver. No gaskets or O-Rings involved.

The Weber is basicly a Carter AFB and any on-line tuning guide for the Carter will be helpful and applicable to the Weber or Eldebrock.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Registered

what about th fuel pump? Stock one okay? Should I upgrade?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Registered

From my experience with the weber, it is an OK carb for stock engines. Only issue I had with it was the hard starting after sitting (a common issue). However, when upgrading the engine you will soon find it is the bottle neck. I did a very similar build to yoiurs, and the weber isn't going to feed that engine as much air as it needs. My advice is to ditch it and get a holley. I did and I love mine. My only regret is I didn't go larger than an 850.

And no, I'm not a holley fanatic - they all have thier place, the weber is just not there for a modified engine.

The bonus is that I can go to the boat after sitting for 2-3 weeks, pump the throttles once and it fire on the first revolution.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with apollard. Mainly because I've had Holly's on 3 BB's now, and never a starting or running problem. fwiw, no choke on any of them, I don't like to go boating in the cold LOL.

Also, I'm no mechanic but I believe your stock fuel pump should be ok. I ran the stock Merc pump from my 7.4/330 on a ZZ502/502 for 4-5 seasons and it fed the engine just fine.

Last edited by Kidnova; 06-11-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Registered

Kidnova reminded me - no choke on my holley either, and I do go boating in colder temps. One throttle pump, set throttle a little above idle, crank, no issues - even on the break in of the engine in 52* weather. Ditch the weber / edelbrock - it works well for cars. Mercs version, not so much.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Registered

well, I was kind of thinking of going to holley, the only thing I was concerned a bout is where to mount the mercathode stuff, and the throttle linkage? do they make new brackets and stuff or do you all just make it?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That I can not answer. But fwiw, about 10 years ago we swapped out a 7.4/330 for a ZZ502 with an Holly 850 (GM Crate Motor). I had a guy helping me, or better said, I helped him. And if I remember correctly we did not need to replace the throttle cable or end. But he did end up fabricating a bracket that would make the 850 work. Again if I recall, it wasn't a big deal. You could take a photo of the set up on your present carb and go look at a Holly to compare, and should be able to determine what you would need to make it work. With all that you have planned, I wouldn't be too concerned about getting a different carb to work on your new set up. It will be a very small bump in the road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.