HP500 Small Gear Reduction Starters >

HP500 Small Gear Reduction Starters

Notices

HP500 Small Gear Reduction Starters

Old 06-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP500 Small Gear Reduction Starters

I have been running the factory gear reduction type 'mini' starter on my HP500. The factory installed starter lasted about 10 years; I've replaced it twice and the third just failed this weekend. It begins to fail by sounding like I have a low battery and then deteriorates into nasty sounds; likely incomplete engagement to the flywheel and gears stripping in the reduction unit.

What experiences have the rest of you had with these starters? Are they typlically problematic?

I don't know what I could be doing wrong. If it were wired wrong, it shouldn't work at all from the first install. If it weren't shimmed properly, I would expect problems with the gear disengaging the flywheel.

Would low voltage cause these problems? I have fully charged batteries; but, wonder if I have a weak cable. Although, I've never experienced this type of problem with any other automotive starter; of course they are all full size GM starters. Is that the answer?

Thanks, Mike