Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oil and Water leaking on 496 MAG? >

Oil and Water leaking on 496 MAG?

Notices

Oil and Water leaking on 496 MAG?

Old 06-11-2013, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil and Water leaking on 496 MAG?

Was down at LOTO this weekend and as usual it was rough on the boat. Boat is a 25 Outlaw with the 496 MAG. The boat never takes on a drop of water but it is never in the water for more than a day at a time. Bellows is also less than 3 years old. I started noticing a little oily residue on the drain plug and then after the boat was in the water for 4 days at LOTO over the weekend there was a good amount of chocolate milk looking oily water in the bilge. Seemed to be using a bit of oil however it staying in the "OK" range as I kept adding it and the oil inside the motor looked fine. I watched while at idle and there was oil dripping from where one of the oil lines from the oil filter connects on the port side bottom of the motor. I figured the fitting was loose but when I tried to tighten it the entire housing spun. So I tightened it as well as I could. Seemed to stop for the time being. There was also what appeared to be water dripping near the port side transom but I haven't been back on the water yet to see where it's coming from. It does drip the water when running on the hose. Any advice on if the oil fix was ok or should I have someone look at it? Also, anywhere to check for water coming in? I can't see bellows being bad again and I don't see any cracks in it where I can see in around the drive. Thanks, I know it's alot of reading.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it looks like the oil has stopped leaking for now. The water is coming from the couplers on the exhaust y-pipe. I can't tighten the couplers any further and it is still leaking. Any ideas?