New Add-on hydraulic steering issue

Notices

New Add-on hydraulic steering issue

Old 06-15-2013, 02:47 PM
10M
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Add-on hydraulic steering issue

So i'm the next guy with a hydraulic steering install problem. Putting add-on steering system on ('88 fountain with twin TRS). Everything bolted up and plumbed fine. Connected one end of one ram to the opposite end of the opposite ram, teed each set to the original control valve on the transom, at the end of the valve. Removed the brake line type hoses that connect the valve to the old ram on the transom. Problem is, when you turn the wheel, it takes off and goes to full lock, and there's no stopping it. The only way to get it to go back the other way is to turn the wheel the same way. For example, when I turn the wheel left, the whole system turns left and locks there. only way to get it to go right is to bump the wheel LEFT, then it takes off to the right till it locks. And so on. Did this a bunch of times hoping it was air, but it's not making any difference. Gotta be something stupid.

Also I used the boat with the stock steering system last week, everything worked fine so the valve should be ok.

Ideas?

Last edited by 10M; 06-15-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:56 AM
10M
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So there is air in the system, messing with the valve and getting pushed back and forth. Tried bleeding at the rams multiple times, tried pushing drives back and forth manually to relieve air, still the same problem. Anyone have any hints or suggestions for bleeding these? I ran the boat for probably 10-15 minutes straight, working the drives back and forth, with no change. Anyone ever use a vacuum-type bleeder successfully? The hoses inside the transom run pretty high, so I have a feeling that's where the air is getting trapped.