Alternatives to Procharger intercooler >

Alternatives to Procharger intercooler

Notices

Alternatives to Procharger intercooler

Old 06-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternatives to Procharger intercooler

I have 350 mags in my boat with procharger set-ups on each engine. I have a small leak in each intercooler so I have to replace them. The issue I'm having is that procharger intercoolers when used in salt (I leave mine in a weekend at a time) will supposedly rust out in a year and they cost $1250 each to replace. I was wondering if anyone has run the prochargers at a lower (3.5 psi) without intercoolers? Alternatively has anyone used and alternate intercooling method that will withstand salt water running longer term? Is anyone running air to air? I really like the way the boat performs with the chargers and the fuel efficiency they provide with a lots of power on tap. I'm not interested in building 383's or other performance small blocks as I really like the idea of being able to replace an engine fairly inexpensively should one fail. Thank you for any info you might have.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about a water/meth injection setup? I run one on my turbocharged LS with no intercooler and it works great.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Registered

I was wondering if that might work. At what pressure would you kick it in? What size nozzle would be appropriate? I would think a large tank would be needed.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

call snow performance,they can help you with the proper setup.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Registered

Your going to need a large tank for that as a boat is under load all the time unlike a car that doesn't have to be in boost at all cruising. Do a search for killer chiller setups.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there a way to flush them when you get back to dock after running?
Old 06-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike tkach
call snow performance,they can help you with the proper setup.
Agreed. I have this system on my cobra and love it. Make sure you spring the few extra bucks per system and do the variable boost referencing. It adjusts the volume per the boost level. This will save you a lot of juice. You can buy the boost juice from snow or just buy methanol and mix at a 49/51 (non flammable mix) with distilled water. 49% or less meth with 51% or more water. Build or purchase yourself a good size tank and hook up the low level warning light. Sensor will come with the kits
Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zx6rr33
I was wondering if that might work. At what pressure would you kick it in? What size nozzle would be appropriate? I would think a large tank would be needed.
I have my setup turn on at 3 psi. I'm running dual 10 gph nozzles with an 80mm turbo at 15 psi. Depending on your power level and boost, I'd maybe start with a single 10 gph. There is a calculator out there on Devil's Own's site.
http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/

Depending on how hard you're running for how long, I'd think that a 3 gallon tank would be plenty for a day on the water. I always run -20* windshield washer fluid which has about 30% meth 70% water.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Registered

Any alternative intercooler thoughts? Water meth is a good solution but I don't particularly like the thought of having more fluid tanks to keep full. Water meth can also effect the engine tuning too. Has anyone tried air to air intercoolers on a boat before? What about a replacement intercooler from an aftermarket supplier like Frozen boost?
Old 06-22-2013, 09:02 AM
VIP Member

Give Dustin a call at www.whipplesuperchargers.com. All of their intercoolers are made of cupronickel and salt has little to no effect on them. They replace or sit under most manifolds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.