Stock valve covers with AFR heads and full roller rockers >

Stock valve covers with AFR heads and full roller rockers

Notices

Stock valve covers with AFR heads and full roller rockers

Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Yup. They make gaskets from .094 to .312 thick. My buddy used the o-ring style newer valve covers, with the oring, they leaked. He switched to the standard old school gaskets like Kvogt said, and no more leaks.
Did he have to modify the stock covers, such as mill off the retainer for the o-ring gasket, or did he just install the cover with the o-ring right on top of the standard gasket?

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my pro 1 heads, after said milling I used Mr Gasket #182 gaskets & solved the problem. These gaskets are about 3/8" thick & made of cork. Randy
Old 06-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Registered

What are you guys using for sealer? In the past I always glued the gasket to the valve cover with RTV Ultra Black and then coated the underside with heavy axle grease - this allowed me to remove the cover for rocker adjustments. Will that still work with the new style covers?

I have a set of standard aluminum covers very similar to the ones used on the 420 Merc's, but they do not have any kind of baffles under the breather openings. Even with a set of baffled grommets, I get some oil mist being sucked up and deposited on my flame arrester, which runs down onto the intake and valve covers and makes a mess. Hoping to avoid all of this with the stock covers.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I just use the brown Mr Gasket sealer however my engine was mpi I am using the same valve covers on a carbed 509 being run on the dyno next week, I will have to look into that. Randy
Old 06-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Registered

For $14, the Summit brand gaskets look pretty good. They are 0.20 thick and are rubber with a steel core. Might do the trick - anyone used a set?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...make/chevrolet
Old 06-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
For $14, the Summit brand gaskets look pretty good. They are 0.20 thick and are rubber with a steel core. Might do the trick - anyone used a set?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...make/chevrolet
Ive used them. No issues. Also used the MRG 182's randy is talking about, no issues there either.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Registered

I had the same problem on my Edelbrock heads. I bought the Mr. Gasket cork ones but was not happy about using them and didn't want to have any leaks. A shop down the road had a lathe and I ran down and payed him $40 to milled them down. I think I had him turn them down .250 - .300. I think the short poly locks might work because they were way longer than they needed to be for my application, but I didn't have any at the time and didn't want to wait. I am running the Comp roller rockers. That was 4 years ago and they have never been a problem.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 28Eliminator
I had the same problem on my Edelbrock heads. I bought the Mr. Gasket cork ones but was not happy about using them and didn't want to have any leaks. A shop down the road had a lathe and I ran down and payed him $40 to milled them down. I think I had him turn them down .250 - .300. I think the short poly locks might work because they were way longer than they needed to be for my application, but I didn't have any at the time and didn't want to wait. I am running the Comp roller rockers. That was 4 years ago and they have never been a problem.
Just to clarify, did you have them mill down the poly locks or the valve covers? The discussion started to move towards modifying the covers, and I want to be sure I know what you mean. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Registered

Yea, he milled down the bottom side of the polylocks and they worked great. I was just looking at the scorpion ones on Summit to see about shorter ones. It would be easier than the route I went down and at the time I don't think I found any shorter ones. Judging by your statement on the sizes I think they might work.
"I saw that Jegs sells a set of 4 Scorpion brand poly locks that are shorter than the standard ones - .975" instead of the 1.2" on the standard ones"
Old 06-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I took stock merc valve covers, ground oil tabs off inside, left the oring groove on them, layed down a generous bead of permatex great stuff then placed a set of 5/16 rubber steel core gaskets against it, I have rebuilt /had motor apart 3 times and the same gaskets still seal perfect, put nothing on the side that goes against the head. I also ran crane gold rockers, crower rockers, comp magnum rockers and now TD shaft rockers with no clearence issues, Smitty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.