Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Is GM Vortec 454 essentially the same thing as the 300-HP L29 7.4L? >

Is GM Vortec 454 essentially the same thing as the 300-HP L29 7.4L?

Notices

Is GM Vortec 454 essentially the same thing as the 300-HP L29 7.4L?

Old 06-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tpabayflyer
I built my L-29 up using the .510/.540 magnum cam and it runs awesome! It has a little more rumble at idle but has excellent torque at 3,000 an above. I bought the cam for less than $200 and got a new single row timing chain as well and it was pretty cheap. I did install larger valves and did some minor, basic port cleanup but I think the gains were very small from that. Use a nice air gap dual plane intake and throw that 800 carb on and enjoy the summer! TBF
Did you happen to change the valve springs? I have heard the stock springs are not good for the upgrade to that cam.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well crap, that one sold on me - should have jumped on it!

I know where there is another one that is currently installed in a boat, but my concern is that it has been ridden much harder. The upside is that I can hear it run before buying it.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dont forget Inconel valves, I unfortunately thought severe duty would work, but they didn't, trashed a block and merlin heads in 30hrs poof
Old 06-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by trent77969
Dont forget Inconel valves, I unfortunately thought severe duty would work, but they didn't, trashed a block and merlin heads in 30hrs poof
Actually, I think it is a misconception that ALL the Merc big blocks had inconel valves. For a while, the common thought was that the Mag motors (along with, obviously, the blue motors) had them, but I actually talked to an engineer at Mercury Racing a few years ago, and he told me that the black motors had whatever GM put in them. Merc tore down and blue printed the blue motors, and upgraded the valves and valvetrain, but they just ran the black motors as GM shipped them. Now I guess it is possible that GM put their own inconel valves in the black motors since they knew they were going in boats, but in my view that is unlikely.

If I was going to run this thing hard or had a ton of money invested in it, you can bet I would install the inconel valves. My "good" motor that I am building now has them.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Gm used inconel valves in some truck engines. Pretty sure the 8.1 truck engine and maybe even L29 engines. Trucks pulling trailers up steep grades towing 15k lbs can see some pretty good exhaust temps too
Old 06-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Gm used inconel valves in some truck engines. Pretty sure the 8.1 truck engine and maybe even L29 engines. Trucks pulling trailers up steep grades towing 15k lbs can see some pretty good exhaust temps too
all the late model 7.4 have inconel valves,,had to because of running the truck so lein and the retard in the cam to get them to pass emissions...
Old 06-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 28Eliminator
Did you happen to change the valve springs? I have heard the stock springs are not good for the upgrade to that cam.
Sorry to not mention that but I did buy a set of brand new vortec heads with new springs installed. The spings were taller and did not use the original style valve spring rotators....... Valves were 2.19/1.88 size and I did some significant bowl blending but I don't think it helped much withheld larger valves. Springs were not very expensive, just get the stock magnum/HO stuff and use it...... Easy 500 ft/lbs of torque all day long! TBF
Old 06-27-2013, 03:07 AM
Registered

The springs should be replaced with new springs & rotator eliminators.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bethgadb
The springs should be replaced with new springs & rotator eliminators.
So what are the rotators for, and why are they used on the L29 but not in other applications?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tpabayflyer
Sorry to not mention that but I did buy a set of brand new vortec heads with new springs installed. The spings were taller and did not use the original style valve spring rotators....... Valves were 2.19/1.88 size and I did some significant bowl blending but I don't think it helped much withheld larger valves. Springs were not very expensive, just get the stock magnum/HO stuff and use it...... Easy 500 ft/lbs of torque all day long! TBF
Where did you get the new heads and how much did they cost, I may be looking at a valve job on my old Suburban, but replacing with upgrades sounds better than messing with that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.