Engine Stalling Issue >

Engine Stalling Issue

Notices

Engine Stalling Issue

Old 06-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Stalling Issue

Had this same issue last year when we first purchased the boat.

1988 Scarab 454 Mag carbed The boat has ran just fine the 3 other times we took the boat out this year with pretty smooth water. Today in rough water, white caps, the boat stalled and refused to re fire. We had been out for about 10 minutes. If I let the boat sit for a couple of minutes it would start and stall almost immediately. It took appx. a half hour to get the boat to re fire and stay running. Once I made it to the marina and flat water, the boat ran fine. I filled the fuel tank at the beginning of June, and have not added any. The boat was stored inside with appx. 25 gal. of fuel.

Fuel issue, fuel delivery issue or ignition issue?

I have ordered a carb rebuild kit thinking the needle may be getting stuck and not allowing the float bowl to fill properly.

Thanks in advance

Jeff
Old 07-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Registered

Rebuilt the carb this weekend. All I really found was a plugged vent fitting that returns to the fuel pump.

Took the boat out for a shake down run and it seemed to do ok.

Could the plugged fitting have been the issue?

Jeff
Old 07-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Registered

Update.

Started the boat on 7/17 and it stalled after running for appx. a minute. It would not re fire. It took at least six tries and plenty of throttle pumping to get it to keep running. New mechanical fuel pump going on today.

Jeff
Old 07-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Registered

New fuel pump installed on Saturday morning. Boat fired right up and ran as smooth as it ever has. Took it out both Saturday and Sunday with no issues and it seemed to be running better.
I took apart the old pump and found goo in the vent fitting and rust in the upper diaphram cavity. I may have finally taken care of the problem.

Jeff