Notices

Steering

Old 07-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering

On my checkmate, the boat wants to pull to the left when accelerating and to the right when letting off. The steering wheel has around an 1/8th of a turn of slack in it, and when I am getting on plane if I hold the wheel against the edge of that slack to the right, it won't pull left. As soon as I let it go into the slack though it will pull hard to the left. Then when I let off you can of course steer way left to keep it from going so much right, but it obviously is not right. Gimble ring checks out, when I first noticed the problem I noticed I had about 4" of side to side play, but very little up and down so I drilled the holes tightened the steering arm and all play in drive is gone. When you move the drive by hand you can see the steering wheel move with it. No play in pins. The steering wheel play is definitely up front, nothing moves in back when moving the wheel in the slack. Could this issue be blamed on the steering wheel helm assembly or cable stretch? I would like to think that and would gladly replace, but I'm not so sure that is what the problem is. Could the control valve be bad on the ram assembly? I also find it hard to believe it is the ram or power steering pump, because when power steering starts giving out you should be able to feel the kinda glitchy feeling in the wheel, correct? There is none of that on this boat, when you are actually turning the action is fine.

Thanks
Joe
Old 07-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Most likely the problem is in the helm. I have the same problem and will be converting to hydraulic to get rid of the cable. Have somebody watch the cable end while you gently move the steering wheel back and forth between the point of resistance.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem on my 31 sonic, did all the rest and found the Steering arms are the culprit, seems my imco tie bar that holds the outdrives together was too long, the outdrive were not parallel and have been working against each other and have caused premature wear. I PURCHASED boat this way. Long story short hydraulic steering here I come, looks like about 3k to get full set up. Bad timing but I have almost slung people out of the boat. It's as if the ass end wants to slide out in a decent turn, like a jet ski would. Not good and don't want to hurt myself someone else or boat. Let me know what you find out if you find a deal on a set up