Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Need a new 502 BBC rear crank seal.  Mine blew out this weekend.  Who's is the best?? >

Need a new 502 BBC rear crank seal. Mine blew out this weekend. Who's is the best??

Notices

Need a new 502 BBC rear crank seal. Mine blew out this weekend. Who's is the best??

Old 07-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new 502 BBC rear crank seal. Mine blew out this weekend. Who's is the best??

Took the boat out this weekend and blew the rear crank seal. The oil was all over the place near the starter and in the flywheel area. I haven't gotten the engine out yet but this is a Gen VI BBC 502 and the seal was in there when I bought the engine, but it did not show any signs of leaking. Also I am running a HV Melling oil pump 10778 that is rated a 75PSI with the default spring. I am wondering if this contributed more to the blowing out of the seal. It had a stock oil pump in there prior.

I know about this one piece seal and the problems with other manufactures have them leak even after just being replaced with a new one. So I want to get the best one to go in there. GM or other.

Any info would be greatly appeciated.

Last edited by toyo321; 07-11-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not seen a bunch of issues with the one piece seal...was it a new engine ? ck rear cam plugs when you get it out...I bought a engine once that the guy put the 2 screw in oil galley plugs with the holes drilled in them that were supposed to be behind the timing gear in the rear, then painted over them...held for a short time then I had one hell of a oil leak...
Old 07-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Registered

No the engine was not "New" but just redone this past year when I bought it. We looked over everything when we had it dissasembled on the engine stand and everything looked good in the back of the engine. But now when I get it out I will put it on the stand and run the oil pump with a electric drill to find the leak with some dye in the oil. I don't want to pull this agian. It took long enough to get it in the boat this year and weekends are flying by right now.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

If you find the seal actually blew out I would be looking into blowby issues. Randy