water temp sending unit >

water temp sending unit

Notices

water temp sending unit

Old 07-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water temp sending unit

My water temp sending unit is not working. I checked the wire to the sending unit and there is no power , Q: should there be power going to the gauge and then to the sending unit?
Old 07-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504281[/ATTACH]

Hope this helps, most temp senders I know only have 1 wire. It is usually TAN in color and is NOT power, its just a wire that carries the signal to the gauge. The sending unit gets grounded when it gets screwed into the manifold or where ever you got it. Its not a good idea to use Teflon tape because it might not get a good ground when screwed in. An old school and fast trick to see if the gauge is working, is to take the TAN wire off the sending unit and have the ignition on, engine off, have someone observe the gauge while someone touches the TAN wire to GROUND, the gauge needle should do a full sweep every time the wire is touched to GROUND. If needle on gauge does the sweep - replace sending unit, If needle does NOT do the sweep, first do a Continuity Check on the TAN wire from back of gauge all the way back to sending unit, to ensure the wire is not broken anywhere. If wire is good - replace gauge.
Attached Thumbnails water temp sending unit-gauge.jpg  
Old 07-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Registered

Thank you Captain Jack