Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine issues in my 98 Fountain...  Please help! >

Engine issues in my 98 Fountain... Please help!

Notices

Engine issues in my 98 Fountain... Please help!

Old 07-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Engine issues in my 98 Fountain... Please help!

So it was 94f out tonight and my boat was packed with friends and family..

Starting off good.. Boat ran great for about 30 mins out on Lake Superior in cool water.
We hung out on the beach for about 2 hours and decided to go for a run before time to go home.

Here is where the problems start! Engine started and was idling fine. After about a min or two it died. Not like a just idled to low it was like the key was shut off. I tried to restart it and it took quite a while to start fireing then it ran like crap, coughin, black smoke and smell of fresh gas.

After a lot of swearing and head bangin my buddy started towing me in. I kept screwing with it. I could clearly see fuel getting dumped into the carb. After a big it started fireing again. Finally staying running. After a bit it seemed to clear out. I got back to the no wake zone throttled back soon as she can down started coughin and died. This was just out from the launch. Tried ones to refire it with no luck.

I have about a 1/2 tank of fuel that was just filled two weeks ago. One thing I thought was different when it started running good again. Was he fuel pressure gauge was reading maxed out with I thought usually said 15ish. ??

Engine: 496 stroker With Holley carb.

Where do I start? I assume plugs and stuff , but what would cause it to run perfect then after sitting for an hour or two run like crap. Black smoke, coughin, miss fireing etc. ugh!!

Very frustrating!! Glad I had a buddy willing to tow..
Old 07-16-2013, 11:10 PM
Registered

Not an engine guru but I would check/dump/replace my water separator.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ethanol maybe do you have a fuel separator?
Old 07-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Does it have a mechanical or electric fuel pump? Fuel psi for a carb should be about 5-7psi if it was over 15psi you were probably forcing fuel past the needle & seat causing it to flood out, I would start with that. Randy
Old 07-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Registered

I have a gauge on the carb, I think it said about 14psi last night. I have never really looked at it before so I am not sure if that is high or not.

I am thinking it has to be water or something in the separator or the fuel pressure issue.. Running at idle or a little above it runs like crap but mid to full throttle it seems to run fine.

Now I have to figure out were the water separator is on this engine..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504553[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]504554[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Engine issues in my 98 Fountain...  Please help!-20130617_102551.jpg   Engine issues in my 98 Fountain...  Please help!-20130617_102617.jpg  
Old 07-17-2013, 08:43 AM
Registered

If you have 14psi of fuel pressure at the carb it is going to flood out and not run.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Registered

So I am wondering would that be a fuel pump or regulator? I did notice my fuel pressure gauge on the dash was maxed out also which I know was not right...

What should I check first?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Registered

Also: Does the pressure regulator just open up if it goes bad or how would it start allowing more pressure without any adjustments... It ran great just prior to this issue... But I did notice it was a bit more hard starting from cold when I took it off the trailer... Thought it was just because it is cold blooded...

So many things are starting to make sense! Haha!

My buddy who was boating with us reassured my wife who automatically thinks the worst by stating... "Don't worry it is nothing money can't fix, but it's a Fountain so double it"
Old 07-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Registered

suck float, trash in the needle seat, carbon tracking in the dist cap, leaking power valve or choke sticking. check fuel pressure with a good mechanical shop gauge 7.5 psi max. water in the system will show zero psi on the gauge.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:34 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if I had 14lbs at the carb I'm gonna start with the regulator. IMO even if the float is stuck or trash in the needle and seat its not going to give you that pressure at the carb. I'm assuming that this is a elec pump? Don't forget to change your oil before you run it again, all that fuel dumping down the carb has diluted the oil and could wash the cylinders, Bigger problems! just my opinion, all the other things mentioned are also possibilities. Water sep is the fuel filter combination?

Last edited by fireboatpilot; 07-17-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.