Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Gil wet exhaust tubes getting hot >

Gil wet exhaust tubes getting hot

Notices

Gil wet exhaust tubes getting hot

Old 08-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a bunch, then it makes sense finally, Eddie Young of Young Performance Marine Engines told me that very same thing and he also knows what he is talking about as do you. I guess there's no use in testing in the water now, was going to tomorrow, but it isn't going to do any good. The holes were on the outside of the short rubber exhaust hose on the port exhaust and on the inner side of the starbd exhaust. I know something inside of these pipes isn't right, before you could put your hand right on them and they would only be warm to the touch, not hot.
Thanks to everyone, your advise and comments are greatly appreciated.

Randy
Old 08-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Registered

Anyone know where I might find a good clean used set of pipes for this motor, Gil HP 500 stainless elbow / pipes?
Old 08-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Registered

OK now I am truly pissed and baffled all at the same friggin time! same problem after installing new pipes!!! Motor is running very cool, 120 degree's idling on the hose but the exhaust water gets hotter than hell making the pipes feel very hot to the touch, they will actually burn the crap out of you. They are hot all the way around, guess it's time to pull the exhaust manifolds themselves and change those now. I have never encountered anything like this in the 30 plus years I have been doing this, water flowing out great, but it's to hot.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the exact same problem running Gill or Gill/Mercury manifolds and Gill tail pipes. Our problem ending up not being in the exhaust. The issue was a factory installed plastic thread protector plug that had been pushed in and was bounceing around inside the stock Mercury thermostat housing and finaly got wedged in a internal water passage. We had some water flow in the exhaust but not enough to cool the engines at high RPM. It only took us an entire boating season to find the problem. Good hunting...

Oh, how did we find it? We finally Cut the Merc housing in half with a band saw.

Last edited by BenPerfected; 08-19-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old 08-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Registered

Man that sucks, sorry that happened to you. My issue is mind boggling, I have changed all hoses, impeller, intake hose, cleaned and inspected the oil cooler, ps cooler, went from my crossover set up back to the stock circulating pump and thermostat housing. No thermostat being used, never did down here, water is warm all the time anyhow in the summer. My engine is running extremely cool, however, the exhaust pipes are getting excessively hot. Even the water coming out of the pipes is hot but how can the engine be cool and the exhaust be hot? I can put my hand on the engine block itself and not get burned.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We were also not running a thermostat. The issue was a blocked passage in the Mercury thermostat housing that was restricting water flow to the exhaust. This only showed up as an issue at high RPM. To test, check your water pressure at the hose connection at the tail pipe and see if it is less than at the block.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Forgot about of an issue we had with the Gil manifolds. Some of the powder coating inside the manifold broke loose and was restricted water flow so the tailpipes ran hot. This is much more likely than the the thermostat housing, especially in salt water.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Registered

I have checked so much stuff, there isn't much more to check! LOL I tell ya I am beginning to believe that is my problem as well, the manifolds themselves. The thermostat housing checked out perfect and as a matter of fact this happens with the crossover and stainless thermostat housing installed or with the other factory one installed, doesn't seem to make a difference which one you have on it. Both sides get hot, and the manifolds seem hotter in certain spots as well, this could darn sure be it, I don't know where else to go. There is plenty of water pressure entering the engine, but it just isn't coming through the pipes like it should I guess. I have another set, looks like its time to do the swap and see what happens! Thanks to everyone for their help and input on this most confusing situation!!

One other thing, when I am in the water idling along, it runs cool as can be. But when we get up on plane and run hard for a while the temp would get up pretty high 180 and higher, I immediately slowed down and it cooled right back down to 120-130. This is before I have done all the rest of the work I have recently done.

Randy

Last edited by baja24outlaw; 08-20-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Another thought....before you remove the Gil manifolds, remove the jump hose fitting on the manifold and see if you see an obstruction. A small mirror might help.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Registered

Will do, was thinking that might be a good idea before I go pulling them off. I have to get this figured out, tired of this beautiful boat sitting on the trailer due to some stupid mess like this!!! LOL Thanks again sir, input truly appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.