02 Sensor getting killed in lightning headers >

02 Sensor getting killed in lightning headers

Notices

02 Sensor getting killed in lightning headers

Old 08-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Water will kill them. I have not heard of one that will take it.
When did they go stupid, when you were idling or under power? At idle I would think water, under power I would think heat??
They want them mounted at close to 12 O'clock to let them drain any moisture out of them. I just read in my Innovate info to not run 12v to them in the pipe without the motor running. Condensation could hit the hot sensor and permently damage the sensor. They also warn against heat. Over 900* and you need to install a heat sink or use an extender to move it out of the exhaust stream to run cooler.
Like you say, it seems like water is the issue. If you are getting any reversion that will kill them. Try running the motor with a spark plug in the hole, then remove it, see if any water sprays out, should be dry exhaust. First time I saw reversion was on a test stand, at an idle you could see the water creep back up the ID of the exhaust pipe.
Any chance the headers are leaking? That would add some water to the pipe?? Did you slow down before it died? I ran mine without the mufflers once and idled back to the dock. Sensor was DOA. Mufflers back on and I have little trouble with it. Mine are dry all the way out, no mixing of the air and fluids. But my tails drag in the water at idle and no wake speeds.

Amazon has the sensors at a reasonable price from what they used to cost..
Hope that helps.
Dick

Last edited by Mr Gadgets; 08-05-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same headers with the factory bung. You have to run the motors for few min to dry the sensor out before turning them on. I also shut it down if i'm going to idle for long
Old 08-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have CMI's Tube Tops, they put the bung in the bottom of the collector. I had bungs welded into the top of the tails, but I have only killed two sensors in 4yrs. I run them all the time.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have big tubes and I have innovate wide worked great for a few times out. Then started going full lean when I would nose the boat up getting on plan.But always worked at idle. Then it would come back after alittle bit of wot. Then got real bad, and would not work at just at idle??? So got a new o2 sensor and did free air and took boat out same crap no work. So bought a hole new set up from them, did not want to play there gay warranty crap send in wait two weeks ect ect. So I feel the gauge is bad.... I hope.....will know this weekend. Sucks all this and about 3 hours run time on the hole thing....
Skydog

Last edited by skydog; 08-05-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 1,205 Likes on 578 Posts

I've run my Bosch 5 wire O2 on and off for 5yrs. I have a little bit of moisture at and idle and try not to have them in during long idle times.
I would try to use some O2 extenders to try and get it out of the stream of moisture.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/o2-extender
Old 08-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 416 Likes on 245 Posts

IMO those extenders won't work. The sensors have to be in the flow of the exhaust or it will not get an accurate reading.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 1,205 Likes on 578 Posts

I don't see a dead spot of exhaust gases collecting in front of the sensor.
I'll buy a set of extenders and do some back to back comparisons.
It has to work better than a dead sensor.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505626[/ATTACH]
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

these are heated 02's, so again don't think heat is the issue...mine are @ 12oclock, seemed like we ran around easy just dialing in the tune, no real long runs, for about 1 hour..then made a decent long WOT pass...soon as I backed of and came off plane..went dead...
Old 08-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be watching to see how this turns out - I have Lightnings that I will be running on mine when I get the engine finished. Mine have the divorced collectors with an internal pipe that slides into the main collector of the header to extend it an extra 9 inches or so. Was planning to actually run collectors with silent choice eventually, but I know running O2 sensors with this setup will not work. So I was going to have a bung added to my regular divorced collectors and run those temporarily while I get the tune set up on the motor, then switch to the SC later. I guess I'll have to watch this thread to see if you come to a good solution.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

getting $$$$ at $150 per sensor !!! I think I'm close we can tune from here without it..but really wanted to keep it on..can't believe how easily these thing take a crap !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.