Cleaning non-skid >

Cleaning non-skid

Notices

Cleaning non-skid

Old 08-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning non-skid

Any recommendation for removing melted rubber backing from the non-skid. I tried brake cleaner and Comet. Im at a dead end trying to get this stuff off . Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Cleaning non-skid-photo.jpeg  
Old 08-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Registered
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I've cleaned my nonskid with hull cleaner and a nylon scub brush, usually cleans most anything. melted rubber...YUCK!
Old 08-22-2013, 12:51 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

Acetone and lots of rags.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:37 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

If it were me, I'd try Meguire's Cleaner Wax and a heavy duty buffer.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a gallon of goof off and the little two tone green/white dish scrubs from Walmart. And it cleaned my ENTIRE non slip deck. This was glue rubber you name it! It pulled right out! I pulled the carpet out and removed all the glue with this. It's cheap and effective. After finishing rinse let dry and put a little spray wax in the area just to be safe. I haven't yet and it looks like a brand new floor! I can't load pics though photobucket is being retarded with its upgrade thing.
*** when using goof off (the gallons are at Home Depot) pour it on let is sit for a minute or two and start wiping it off. May have to do it a few times. If you pour it on let it sit and wipe then rinse with water, the second time you do it the water does not delute it. It's still very strong. Wear a breather and gloves. I didn't but doesn't mean you shouldn't. Good luck post up some after pics on what way you decided.

Last edited by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS; 08-23-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:53 AM
Registered

Hit it with a pressure washer
Old 08-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Registered

i have done it with goof off as well. Try this though, take an old wash cloth and soak it in the goof off and lay it on the rubbery mess and let it soak in, you can always pour a little more on the washcloth. This way, the fibres on the cloth get into the grooves and the cloth with hold the liquid so it doesnt run all over the place. after it soaks for a while, use a stiff bristled brush (buy a good brush, you spent the money on the boat so dont cheap out on something so simple) and scrub away.

I had to do this to remove 20+ years of wax build up from idiots not knowing how to properly buff and wax a boat near non-skid.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Registered

oh, and i dont recommend the orange-oil based remover, its crap. Buy the chemical laiden stuff with the skull and cross bones kill you stuff. It just plain works better
Old 08-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Registered

3m makes an adhesive remover that may work. Have you tried wd40??
Old 08-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Registered

I have tried the 3m and the wd40 but a friend of mine did who is great at boat detailing spent 4 hours on it with a tooth brush , compound and goof off. Looks great now . Thanks for all the help. Blake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.