Notices

Carb tuning

Old 09-05-2013, 03:32 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
Well if i knew what i was doing maybe i could get big trouble into a lower et bracket,,it has 2 dominator carbe 4 stages od nos and more jets then yours , mike's and joes all put together and we manage to get it down the 1/4 mile race track in 6.87 seconds @ 210 mph..

even with my glasses on i cant seem to find the blower belt,hell i cant even see the blower.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Skatermac
They where 1350 Sterling to start with. I use most of Mike's recipe. I run cams from Hollman Moddy custom ground. They are very small but will run to 7500 and idle at 700 rpm. My ignition system is fully programable it has boost retard, retard for curb idle (neutral) and i run a timing curve; 36 degree total. I run race stripped 10.71:1 Mooneyham blower at 1.1 over drive. Special surface gap sparkplugs. I tune with Innovative O2 AFR meters in the collectors. I run blower shop intercooler forward motion feed only. I have single stage waterpumps raw-water only at 150 degree water temps. Twin in line modified 1150 Holley 3 circuit carbs(power-valves front and rear) 80 Mains Squared .080 PVRC 4.5 and 5.0 above the blower with the intermediate and idle circuits this equates to a 112 main jets at full throttle acceleration 12.9:1 AFR
well that,s quite the story,those [special surface gap sparkplugs]must be magic.you say these engines were sterling 1350s at one time,what hapened to the psi screw blowers that they had before you put those monster 10.71s on top.how about giving the cam specs on those [hollman moddy]cams.id also like to know how much boost you are making at wot.12.9 afr at full throttle on a roots supercharged engine,keep dreaming,LOL.im calling bs on this one,i cant wait to see what joe g will have to say about your pipe dream story LOL.boost retard for curb idle,so are you saying that this magical engine idles in boost requiring the timing to be retarted?funny thing is you made a comment about not leading someone down the wrong road,anyone who tries to tune an engine with this recipy wont make it 1 mile down the road.are you a comedian because your story is funny LOL.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 4,255 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Well this thread went to $hit lol
Old 09-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Well this thread went to $hit lol
Exactly, Best of luck on you quest. Steve M
Old 09-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Skatermac
Exactly, Best of luck on you quest. Steve M
so i guess you are done blowing smoke?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Dan, think of the carb as having 3 power circuits. Primary main, primary power valve, and secondary main. Primary mains are doing the work until 3500RPM. After that, the Power valve opens, adding fuel, and the secondarys come in, again adding fuel. In order to fix your rich spot, fuel needs to be pulled from somewhere. You cant pull primary jet, because you'd be lean at 3500. If you pull any more secondary jet, you'll be lean at WOT. So there lies a spot in the curve where there just is simply too much fuel being introduced. Powervalve circuit. If you remove fuel from there, and don't make any other changes, this will lean the wot AFR also. So, you would need to add more secondary jet.

So lets say you remove 4 jet sizes worth of fuel from the power valve circuit. You would then go up 4 sizes on secondary main jet, so your WOT AFR stays the same. So, you will go from a current setup of 88P/92S, to like a 88/96 Setup. Or 88/98 possibly. That is much more of a traditional jetting configuration, and fuel distribution will be better. Carb's can give very linear fuel curves. But they need to be set up properly.

Most people don't talk about power valve channel restrictions. When modified, they can have a huge effect as far as fuel changes. For example. Lets look at a holley #88 Main Jet. Drill size is .104. Now lets look at a #83 jet. Drill size is .094. So, theres a difference of .010 between the two. If I told you to pull 5 main jet sizes, youd expect a substantial change in AFR correct? Theres a lot more math to it, as you have to figure total flow area, etc. But as a quick guideline, reducing the PCVR by .010, would be like pulling 6 jet sizes worth of fuel from the overall flow. So you'll have to make that up if you want to keep the WOT afr the same.

To sum it up, lets go to the river, install a .010 wire in the pcvr's, and record the data. My guess is you'll prob end up with 88P/96S, no more 10's at 4000RPM, Better fuel distribution, and a safe wot AFR.

This is stuff we can talk about on the phone or at the dock. I am writing it here, that maybe it can help someone else out.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

try 4.5 pvs
Old 09-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Dan, think of the carb as having 3 power circuits. Primary main, primary power valve, and secondary main. Primary mains are doing the work until 3500RPM. After that, the Power valve opens, adding fuel, and the secondarys come in, again adding fuel. In order to fix your rich spot, fuel needs to be pulled from somewhere. You cant pull primary jet, because you'd be lean at 3500. If you pull any more secondary jet, you'll be lean at WOT. So there lies a spot in the curve where there just is simply too much fuel being introduced. Powervalve circuit. If you remove fuel from there, and don't make any other changes, this will lean the wot AFR also. So, you would need to add more secondary jet.

So lets say you remove 4 jet sizes worth of fuel from the power valve circuit. You would then go up 4 sizes on secondary main jet, so your WOT AFR stays the same. So, you will go from a current setup of 88P/92S, to like a 88/96 Setup. Or 88/98 possibly. That is much more of a traditional jetting configuration, and fuel distribution will be better. Carb's can give very linear fuel curves. But they need to be set up properly.

Most people don't talk about power valve channel restrictions. When modified, they can have a huge effect as far as fuel changes. For example. Lets look at a holley #88 Main Jet. Drill size is .104. Now lets look at a #83 jet. Drill size is .094. So, theres a difference of .010 between the two. If I told you to pull 5 main jet sizes, youd expect a substantial change in AFR correct? Theres a lot more math to it, as you have to figure total flow area, etc. But as a quick guideline, reducing the PCVR by .010, would be like pulling 6 jet sizes worth of fuel from the overall flow. So you'll have to make that up if you want to keep the WOT afr the same.

To sum it up, lets go to the river, install a .010 wire in the pcvr's, and record the data. My guess is you'll prob end up with 88P/96S, no more 10's at 4000RPM, Better fuel distribution, and a safe wot AFR.

This is stuff we can talk about on the phone or at the dock. I am writing it here, that maybe it can help someone else out.
I second what Mild Thunder is telling you the two of you can tune your boat on the water, and he can show you how to keep it tuned the way you want it. You'll never fix it here on this board. If your ever in my neck of the woods I'll will do the same for you.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn good thread! Thanks MTē
Old 09-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Registered

I agree, MT just broke it down exactly how I should be looking at as to what adjustment do what, even if he didn't intentionally do it that way lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.