Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Q for anyone who has sandblasted their drives or K-Planes? >

Q for anyone who has sandblasted their drives or K-Planes?

Notices

Q for anyone who has sandblasted their drives or K-Planes?

Old 08-06-2002, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q for anyone who has sandblasted their drives or K-Planes?

I am considering sandblasting my drives and planes. has anyone ever done this personally, I do not want to pit any of the surfaces also I do not want sand getting inside my drives. anyone have any suggestions?
Old 08-06-2002, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about using plastic bead media. There is a shop here that uses it and says there is no deteriation of the metal surface at all.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:40 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Ive blasted K-planes before and let me tell ya....never again!!! That baked on paint they use is a MOFO!!! You cant use any strippers on it cause it may seap into the metal and resurface in the overn if you are having then powdercoated again. It will bubble the powdercoating! As for pitting......the surface metal of the k-planes is not smooth to begin with. Its somewhat an orange peel texture but smaller. The powdercoating or painting should fill all those imperfections.

As for drives....i cant help ya there. Ive never done that before. Ive painted over existing painted drives after feathering the edges together. Turned out ok....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-06-2002, 04:46 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I stripped my old drive using sand with no problems.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:11 PM
Registered

Thanks Wally. Those sandblasted K-planes painted up real nice!!!
Old 08-06-2002, 05:16 PM
Brad Perry

Try a small part first, like the skeg. You might be surprised at how hard it is to get off. Only coarse black beauty got it off an old set of valve covers. Bead blasting did nothing. I have since added a nose cone and feather sanded the drive and painted with great results.

Old 08-06-2002, 05:46 PM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Default Be careful with drives!!

I had to have my lower torn down and cleaned out when I sandblasted it. I did the drive in two sections - upper & lower. I thought I had everything masked off sufficiently - wrong! Apparently some of the sand found its way into one of the oil passages. Just remember that this $h1t goes EVERYWHERE! You might be better off just pulling the guts out of it and blasting the bare housings. You could go ahead and inspect/reseal and be ahead of the game.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:30 PM
Registered

Thanks guys, Ime still not sure what ime going to do, I think that the drives have been painted recently(just bought the boat last fall) but after a major f#ck up by a careless marina this past weekend they need to be repainted, any recomendations on Paint, Primers ect. I will probably paint them red or black or a combination of the two.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:10 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally posted by ForrestC
Thanks Wally. Those sandblasted K-planes painted up real nice!!!
My pleasure Forrest! LOL!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-07-2002, 09:24 AM
Brad Perry

Isn't it nice when some dumba$$ scratches your $hit and doesn't even seem to notice that you keep your $**** better than average???!!!

I've had good luck with PPG Concept paint and regular laquer primers. Imron is probably tougher though.

Quick Reply: Q for anyone who has sandblasted their drives or K-Planes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.