Proven cam combos 540CI?? >

Proven cam combos 540CI??

Notices

Proven cam combos 540CI??

Old 10-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
[ATTACH=CONFIG]510130[/ATTACH]i got a hold of erson and sent them picture of back of cam he said its custom going and this is the card he sent me of what's in it now

To me it's small for the CI I have stainless marine dry to the transom long risers.... 650 is about perfect future hp for this boat with TRS drives not gonna take much more
That was a nice cam for a marine 540 years ago, when nobody wanted to spin a hydraulic roller past about 5500, or have reversion issues. Looks like they wanted it installed on a 108LCA? 6 degrees advanced? That be a sweet tow engine stump puller lol. I'd probably look into something with with more duration, like 10* more. Like a 244/252. Spin the engine to 5800-6000, with good lifters/springs. Depending on your heads, I might look into going with something in the .630 lift range. I'm no cam guru though.

Im sure that cam idled pretty well in the 547. That's less cam than I run in my 468's. I run a 236/245 .629/.632 114lsa . Even in my little baby motors, my cam was about done around 6000 on the dyno, Which was the goal.

Off topic in a way, but my buddy had a 30ft scarab. He has some solid rollered 540's, with ported Dart Pro 1 heads, 10:1, single plane, dominator. He did about 725hp on the dyno. In the boat, he spun the engines to 6000ish, and had good luck with the TRS drives with that setup. His thought was to have a higher revving engine to take the torque load off the drives. Seemed to work good for him. The boat ran 90-92.

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 10-17-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I think my budget right now is gonna have me get another one of these cams, put it in and call it a day, I will do cams when I refresh in a couple years... I just don't have it in my plans this winter since I wanna do it right, need bigger carbs then too so its gonna be 4-5000 that I don't have right now, need other things....

I make 660TQ now, I have 2 extra drives in garage lol

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
That was a nice cam for a marine 540 years ago, when nobody wanted to spin a hydraulic roller past about 5500, or have reversion issues. Looks like they wanted it installed on a 108LCA? 6 degrees advanced? That be a sweet tow engine stump puller lol. I'd probably look into something with with more duration, like 10* more. Like a 244/252. Spin the engine to 5800-6000, with good lifters/springs. Depending on your heads, I might look into going with something in the .630 lift range. I'm no cam guru though.

Im sure that cam idled pretty well in the 547. That's less cam than I run in my 468's. I run a 236/245 .629/.632 114lsa . Even in my little baby motors, my cam was about done around 6000 on the dyno, Which was the goal.

Off topic in a way, but my buddy had a 30ft scarab. He has some solid rollered 540's, with ported Dart Pro 1 heads, 10:1, single plane, dominator. He did about 725hp on the dyno. In the boat, he spun the engines to 6000ish, and had good luck with the TRS drives with that setup. His thought was to have a higher revving engine to take the torque load off the drives. Seemed to work good for him. The boat ran 90-92.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Registered

I think my budget right now is gonna have me get another one of these cams, put it in and call it a day, I will do cams when I refresh in a couple years... I just don't have it in my plans this winter since I wanna do it right, need bigger carbs then too so its gonna be 4-5000 that I don't have right now, need other things....

I make 660TQ now, I have 2 extra drives in garage lol
How about retarding them a bit
Old 10-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wondering if I did that how it would effect propping, not wanting to go with 4 blades and TRS with bigger power... the 25 Mirage plus is working perfect so far..
Old 10-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Registered

Wondering if I did that how it would effect propping, not wanting to go with 4 blades and TRS with bigger power... the 25 Mirage plus is working perfect so far..
I wouldn't expect huge gains, but my gut tells me it would pick up a bit of HP at WOT, and trade off a little torque down low. Might extend the RPM band a couple hundo higher.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I will look into it, I didn't really wanna pull other engine apart unless I did big cam changes...the boat runs 70 in damn near any conditions and the port motor was never as strong, down 200 rpm all the time, assuming the reason behind that led to lifter fail..so if engine is fixed and it ran 71-73 like it should I would be pretty happy... hard to see even 70 with a TRS Mistress...

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I wouldn't expect huge gains, but my gut tells me it would pick up a bit of HP at WOT, and trade off a little torque down low. Might extend the RPM band a couple hundo higher.

Last edited by Full Force; 10-18-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will look into it, I didn't really wanna pull other engine apart unless I did big cam changes...the boat runs 70 in damn near any conditions and the port motor was never as strong, down 200 rpm all the time, assuming the reason behind that led to lifter fail..so if engine is fixed and it ran 71-73 like it should I would be pretty happy... hard to see even 70 with a TRS Mistress...
did you ever find out how you hurt the old cam?
Old 10-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

"I think my budget right now is gonna have me get another one of these cams, put it in and call it a day, I will do cams when I refresh in a couple years"... "I didn't really wanna pull other engine apart unless I did big cam changes..."
Not that I ever do anything right, but I finally got tired of doing everything twice. While that engine is apart put the nice roller cam in that you choose. Use the existing carb that you have and run it. When funds come available upgrade this and the other engine to full potential. You are not doing anything wrong by putting a new quality cam in for future potential power. The small carb might hurt you a little bit you never know.

You just might not have to put the sticks down as far for this engine. It might carry the other engine another 100RPM and drop this engine 100RPM. I have ran 2 dissimilar engines because of issues before (short summers in MI) and the differences almost equaled them out.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I cant have mismatched stuff, drives me nuts lol I mark everything in the engines port and starboard when I build them ... they must match!

Originally Posted by Rookie
Not that I ever do anything right, but I finally got tired of doing everything twice. While that engine is apart put the nice roller cam in that you choose. Use the existing carb that you have and run it. When funds come available upgrade this and the other engine to full potential. You are not doing anything wrong by putting a new quality cam in for future potential power. The small carb might hurt you a little bit you never know.

You just might not have to put the sticks down as far for this engine. It might carry the other engine another 100RPM and drop this engine 100RPM. I have ran 2 dissimilar engines because of issues before (short summers in MI) and the differences almost equaled them out.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Only thing that honestly makes sense is I must have been idiot when doing rockers and was not on flat spot of cam and allowed too much lash, at 5200 rpm that will cause a problem... inner lifter retainer came out somehow, I assume with too much lash then allowed it to come apart....only thing that makes sense..

Originally Posted by bcfountain
did you ever find out how you hurt the old cam?