To Goose or not >

To Goose or not

Notices

To Goose or not

Old 10-28-2013, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Goose or not

Have a Trailer that is a solid 10' from the nose of the boat to the hitch. Been thinking about converting it from bumper pull to gooseneck. I have read mixed reviews on pro vs cons. I'm looking to gain maneuverability. Everything I read say goose is much better for pulling but not for backing. What are you guys thought. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

I'm a big fan of goose neck trailers, tow much better than bumper style, especially with heavy loads. Am considering this same move on a a big cat trailer since it's total weight is well over 13,000 lbs, just much safer and not uncommon for a goose style. Maneuverability is just an added bonus...
Old 10-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can one be converted to the other?

I guess as long as its engineered to take the loads differently.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:15 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

If it's directly over the top of the rear axle, you will lose a lot reverse maneuverability. If you have a truck with front leaf springs, I would forget about it. (Like the 1999-2004 Ford SuperDuty, the leaf spring front ends drastically reduce the turning radius compared to coil spring front ends of later Fords and other brands).

If the hitch point is a bit behind the rear axle, you will have some additional pivot leverage, but not much.

There have been a few other posts here on OSO about conversions over the past few years.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dumn guestion ,but why is it 10' from bow to coupler.. why not just shorten the trailer if the length isn't necessary .I like a fifth wheel on the highway but can't see the need to convert a tag along ...Unless that's what you want
How big a boat you towing

Originally Posted by ckin62
Have a Trailer that is a solid 10' from the nose of the boat to the hitch. Been thinking about converting it from bumper pull to gooseneck. I have read mixed reviews on pro vs cons. I'm looking to gain maneuverability. Everything I read say goose is much better for pulling but not for backing. What are you guys thought. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Registered

It is just the trailer the boat had when I acquired it. 41' vee. Never really thought about it till I watched a guy with a short trailer 42' boat go thru a drive-thru. I would have knocked the place down. No way I could have gotten around in the parking lot. If I just want to shorten the thing, the main frame geometry is wrong. Would look odd and clearly modified.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

On 40' plus, I'd defiantly goose it.

That's where I'm at also, after hauling mine 400 miles home on the tongue, took just half way to decided it's getting converted. I even drive a leaf spring truck like mentioned above, and can still spin a 30' gooseneck around in the driveway. Yeah it's gonna be different backing, but you can also jackknife it and pivot around the inside trailer tires. My son has mastered that, always thinking he is gonna wipe out my bedside one day.

Best way to tell, go borrow a big gooseneck flat deck and just drag it around for an hour or so, then go back and hook to the boat trailer. You'll know in a couple turns which ya like best..

Last edited by kidturbo; 10-29-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kidturbo
On 40' plus, I'd defiantly goose it.

That's where I'm at also, after hauling mine 400 miles home on the tongue, took just half way to decided it's getting converted. I even drive a leaf spring truck like mentioned above, and can still spin a 30' gooseneck around in the driveway. Yeah it's gonna be different backing, but you can also jackknife it and pivot around the inside trailer tires. My son has mastered that, always thinking he is gonna wipe out my bedside one day.

Best way to tell, go borrow a big gooseneck flat deck and just drag it around for an hour or so, then go back and hook to the boat trailer. You'll know in a couple turns which ya like best..

This is exactly what I decided to do. A buddy with a 30+ goose horse trailer is gonna be my ginnie pig.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 4,323 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Resale value is gonna take a hit