Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What hydraulic roller cam to use in place of this solid roller cam in my 598's? >

What hydraulic roller cam to use in place of this solid roller cam in my 598's?

Notices

What hydraulic roller cam to use in place of this solid roller cam in my 598's?

Old 11-28-2013, 01:07 PM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rob vanharten
Right now they surge from about 800 to 1400 rpm. They shift in and out of gear excellent. If I lean out the idle circuit they won't surge, but die as soon as I put them in gear. I kinda like the surge anyway. Yes big props, 37 pitch 17.5 diameter, 18 degree rake.
If you like all that surge then I am sure Bob can create something in similar duration. If not I would think you want to be closer to the spec from Black Baja. Maybe he can respond with rpm he idles at in and out of gear and prop size.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Anyone can read the books and that knows a little bit about the application can pick something out. But after some dealing with bob, ill just call him stop scratching my head and get back to making $$$, couple days later ups guy walks in with a cam and a few hours after that we have a great running engine! That easy lol
Old 11-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Bob is the man, I bought my cam's, lifter's and pistons from him and Brad did the rest, it was nice to see two well respected builders in the marine industry collaborate on my build's with no hint of arrogance between them.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Hydraulic roller in my 598 is 250 258 @ .050 .696 .680 lift I run the morel high rpm lifters. The lifters will go to 7300 rpm they do like some spring pressure 200-225 closed 500-550 open. Oil can't be any thicker than 10w40. I run 30 weight and run the piss out of it with no issues so far. I tried to run these lifters on a solid roller cam when it was first put together and it did not work having preload in the lifter hung the valves open and the motor made no compression. If I set them at zero lash it would run like a champ. Zero lash on a hydraulic lifter in a boat probably not a good thing...
Hahaha yea probably not a good thing, I'm considering going back to hydraulic cam/lifter setup. Currently running 6500r's in 454 with solid cam/rollers with .693 Intake .695 exhaust on 104. Motor is N/A and Sounds NASTY! But lost the bottom end and one lifter. Motor sat for 3 years before it was fired and ran again and the lifters were never relieved while stored. We knew it was going to come to a end sometime soon with only seeing 20#'s or less of oil pressure running straight 50 weight.. Your setup sounds healthy though for sure!

Last edited by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS; 11-28-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rv
If you like all that surge then I am sure Bob can create something in similar duration. If not I would think you want to be closer to the spec from Black Baja. Maybe he can respond with rpm he idles at in and out of gear and prop size.
Bob Madera did the cam. I've spun the motor 57-5800 it's NA for now 8.5:1 runs on 87 pushes the Donzi mid 80's motor still pulling some and getting out of it cause of Chine walk and no seat time. I'm pretty impressed with the cam it will put you back in the seat when you get on it. When Bob and I were talking about the cam he thought 5-6 lbs of boost would be a good idea. I'm gonna go efi for next year cause I think the carb is way too small and see how things go. If I can get into the 90's with 87 octane I'm gonna leave it be if not ill put a procharger on with mild boost.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:01 PM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Baja Black
What rpm do you idle at in and out of gear.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rv
Baja Black
What rpm do you idle at in and out of gear.
6-700 but the motor will not think about idling until its warm. It's a real s.o.b. to get it started and likes lots of fuel...
Old 11-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like I will be giving Bob a call!! Thanks for all the input.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rob vanharten
Sounds like I will be giving Bob a call!! Thanks for all the input.
Yea x'2! I want a more reliable setup. And since my engine was build with "old school" ways. I wouldn't mind loosing a little HP if I can gain some efficiency also, ex, nose cone/ lightening the hull.....
Old 12-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS
Yea x'2! I want a more reliable setup. And since my engine was build with "old school" ways. I wouldn't mind loosing a little HP if I can gain some efficiency also, ex, nose cone/ lightening the hull.....
I really don't think you will loose any performance with the proper hydraulic cam for your motor. With today's parts in my opinion there is no need to run a solid lifter in a pleasure boat. If there is any performance gain I don't think it would even be noticed....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.