Question on Pulling my engine >

Question on Pulling my engine

Notices

Question on Pulling my engine

Old 01-06-2014, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on Pulling my engine

Hi guys, I'm about to pull the engine in My 1999 232 Cobalt and have a few questions I 'm hoping you guys can answer. First time I have ever done this so forgive my ignorance.
First things first
Engine is Volvo Penta 7.4 gipwtr, serial number is 4112049663
I have the manuals and think I have everything disconnected and it's ready to pull but I'm not sure where to lift from. My dealer said that he thinks there are lifting points installed on the motor already. The manual makes no mention of this. I looked at the engine and there appears to be a lifting point on the front on top of the thermostat housing and 1 behind the cylinder head on the starboard side. See the diagrams below:
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Cylin...view_id.786810
Cylinder head #25 (called bracket)
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Cooli...view_id.786821
Thermostat housing #4 (called bracket)

So the question is are these the lifting points and if they are should there be a third one the back side of the port cylinder head?

If these are not the lifting points then where should I be lifting this from.

Thanks in advance,
Aaron
Old 01-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pull from the accessory bolt holes on the heads on the ends.
Two points diagonal. You can get. Load leveler bar from Harbor freight that helps.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:58 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

If it's just a 7.4 I usually just wrap my arms around it and lift it out by hand
but if you want to use a lift here is a video for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVMq4UIokAg
Old 01-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't want to lift from the thermostat bracket/lifting eye. You use that strictly for alignment of the engine. You should have a lifting bracket on the back of the head and diagonal on the front of opposite head. If you don't you can improvise using a chain and longer bolts through the accessory bracket holes on the head/block. Depends on how much room you have to get in and find a good place to lift from.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Registered

Thanks for the help guys, There is definitely a bracket on the back of the one head, I'll take another look tomorrow see if there is another lifting point on the front.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Order out the Harbour freight load leveler bar ,it will make the job a lot easier on yourself .
Old 01-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Registered

I have a load leveler that I got from a buddy. Gonna give it another look in a few hours when I'm done working.
Thanks,
Aaron
Old 01-07-2014, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have found that load levelers are usually more trouble than they are worth in a boat .If you just end up with the hook point roughly in the middle of the motor ,it doesn't take a muscle man to pivot it up and down as necessary .Then once attached to the transom assembly ,set it down on the mounts . .Re attach lift to the hook on therm housing and adjust up or down with hoist until line up tool is centered. Drop the mounts til they just hit the stringer ,and u should be good to go.Let all weight off and recheck ....

Last edited by motor; 01-07-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:19 PM
Registered

My plan is to pull it, fix the simple problem I have, put it back in and let my mechanics align it and put the drive back on. I don't have an alignment tool and don't really want to go out and buy one. Plus they will do a better job than me.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:00 PM
Registered

So I took another look and there is another lift point on the front opposite head... Engine comes out Friday, hopefully everything goes smooth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.