Flappers in my offshore exhaust tips >

Flappers in my offshore exhaust tips

Notices

Flappers in my offshore exhaust tips

Old 01-11-2014, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flappers in my offshore exhaust tips

Bought my straight cut tips from Teague, I noticed on one side they were gone, wore out for what ever reason. The tips r 14" above water line. I also have Gil magnum al. manifold and new SS 4" risers which have the correct slope DOWNWARD. I also have captain choice air operated. My ? Is I was thinking about leaving the flappers out bc of less back pressure and better sound. I'm concerned about reversion. Do the flappers (inside of tips) cause any back pressure? Can u have reversion when the engine is running? 502mpi stock motor and cam. To get through last season I turned off captains choice so as to close off the above water tips from water entering. If I do replace the flapper on the one side, looks like I have to pull out the tips to install. Oh BTW huge diff of power when the exhaust is diverted straight out rather than through the prop. Thank you

Last edited by 236eagle; 01-11-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

At the least you need to worry about water going up the pipes when you come off plane and the wave slaps the back of the boat without flappers.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:16 PM
Registered

Yes I think I could have reversion even though the engine was running but maybe not, that was my main ? Thanks for your input
Old 01-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its a good idea to have the flapper to act as a barrier when you come off plane or back into a wave. There's an alternative to removing the tip if you have straight 4" tips. Dana Marine makes a flapper assembly that goes in from the outside.. This is it. I have these in my boat on all 6 tips..

http://www.danamarineproducts.com/Pr...7-1a3c501ccfa7

I just had to replace one because a flapper blew out and it was very easy; it slides right inside of the tip. You just have to drill small two holes in the side of the tip for the fastener and the external flapper goes right over it. Here's what one looks like.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]516141[/ATTACH]

sorry, picture is sideways... but you get the idea..
Attached Thumbnails Flappers in my offshore exhaust tips-image-29.jpeg  

Last edited by HyFive578; 01-11-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Registered

Cool looking into that thank u so much!
Old 01-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I had those in my Nova's tips. They knocked so loud that it sounded like a rod knock or something. I ditched then and went with the rubber external flaps and never looked back. JMHO.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Registered

Default rubber flappers are the best

I have a brand new set, 40.00 delivered. I also have transom tips with but in flappers. Probably sell the tips with flappers for 125 , they are rex marine. Everything is coming 4 inch. I like the rappers better. I would take out the internals and use the external rubber flappers.
Larry
Old 01-11-2014, 11:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
I had those in my Nova's tips. They knocked so loud that it sounded like a rod knock or something. I ditched then and went with the rubber external flaps and never looked back. JMHO.
Yeah, I had them at one time too. They are a trade off. They offer great protection but at idle (with a pretty healthy cam) you can hear them CLIP CLOP CLIP CLOP CLIPPITY CLOP CLIP CLOP.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:36 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A little noise from the flapper at idle seems pretty trivial compared to what could happen when water gets up in your exhaust.. Personally, I've never really noticed it but I'd deal with the noise for some additional protection but that's just my preference. Emphasis on "some"... you back into a big enough wave, even that internal flapper won't stop the water..
Old 01-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Registered

My internal make noise too. Lol Christ sounds like fricken engine is having a melt down

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.