Cam shaft numbers >

Cam shaft numbers

Notices

Cam shaft numbers

Old 01-26-2014, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
Well give me some I really don't care about the naysayers on here I've got a pair of 557s 10-5-1 comp, tall deck, was supposed to make 700 plus but they only produced 620hp 650tq , I see everyone list there motors making 700plus but I want to compare engines, these engine have the Brodix heads that we talked about, just wanting to compare before I buy those pro chargers listed
620HP from a 557 with 10.5:1 sucks. What cam did you have in it? What model brodix heads do you have?

What is the max rpm you are comfortable turning with the components you have? No point in putting a cam that will make peak power at 6700rpm when you only want to turn 6000.

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 01-26-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
I think it's funny that people get worked up over all the cam threads. Bob get's recommended on almost every one because that's what he does for a living, and has a great reputation. Mike, I think your Crane 651 recommendation on Shane's thread was a good call, it is a tried and true cam that performs well in that size engine with a power adder. However, there could be better options, or there might be a parameter or component of his build that would benefit from a different/specific profile. I'm pretty sure if you did call Bob, and the 651 profile was the best option for your application, he would say so. Just because two cams have very similar numbers, does not mean they are the same. Overall lobe profiles can be vastly different between the two.

So let's turn this thread around.. If you want to get any meaningful responses on a cam thread, and I'm sure Bob would chime in if it's constructive, you need to post as much detail as possible. Asking what cam for a 540, is like saying how long is a rope. Johnnyboat, seeing as though this is your thread - You've got 557's, 10.5 comp. What heads, any porting, what intake, what size carb, efi, what exhaust, straight out, 90's, mufflers, what octane fuel, what is the application, what springs, rockers, pushrod size, what cam is in there now, where'd it make peak torque and peak hp, was it dyno'd with your marine exhaust, or dyno headers? Answer as much as you can and that should be a good start. There will likely be people who aren't cam experts, but may have a similar combo and can give you their real world results with what they're running, that way everybody should be able to learn a little something.. Or if that's too much work, just call Bob
when eliminatershane started a thread asking what cams guys are useing in a similar build as his i told him what cam i put in a set of engines for 1 of my boats.i got beat up by people who know as much about cams as i know about flying the space shuttle.i even got pm,s from a guy telling me im no bob madera,[and im not]but all i did was respond to his thread so from now on i will not post much advice or experiance on oso.im tired of all the head cases around here lately.if one tenth of the people who recomend bob actually use him id be suprised but they all jump on the band wagon.bob is the man no doubt but to beat up on someone because he told someone else what cam he used on a build is crazyness that i dont need.just for the record the 651 cam met the needs of the builds they went in and i was happy with 950 from 8.71s on 540 with 9 lbs boost.but what do i know,i used COOKIE CUTTER CAMS.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mild thunder, I wanted 700hp ive got the heads from mike the ones he took off some motors of his brodix, the builder told me at the time 700 was going to be pretty easy to achieve with the parts I have, now theyre just down on power to me , I see everyone here post theyre engines made 700plus, and these dynode at 620 just seeing what the diff, I know the heads may be to big, they were ported and off of a blower set up so who knows I was clearly asking what people were running as far as cams to get 700hp or more on a carb 540plus engine im not holding anyone liable just curious.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Registered

I stand by my statement I made on shanes thread. Before I would spend the money on a new shelf crane billet cam, I would go to Bob. Reason being, he not only will spec a cam tailored to your setup, he also can set you up with a bunch of other valvetrain insight.

The last couple conversations I've had with Bob I've learned a thing or two. I've personally never been around a spintron, and probably won't anytime soon. Some things Bob, alex, eddie young, etc can share is not only knowledge, but experiance. I think often many details aside from cam specs, are often overlooked.

We as do it yourself kinda guys, will want a cam with xx amount of lift and duration. But, many won't follow thru with the rest of the valvetrain to see that you are truly getting xx amount of lift at the valve, or correct valve actuation. Whether it be from pushrod deflection, incorrect spring setup (yes there's more to it than seat psi and open pressures), and even proper rocker geometry.

I am sure HaxbySpeed can attest there is power and reliability to be found in the valvetrain, not just in the cam lobes per say. Things I've done in the past may have worked just fine, but if there's a better way to do it I wanna know. That's why I enjoy talking with you guys!

To get back on topic, before anyone can suggest a cam, we need more info on the engines, alot more. The cam that might work well in a 6500rpm blower build isn't gonna be the one for a 5500rpm N/A engine
Old 01-26-2014, 08:17 PM
Registered

mild thunder, I wanted 700hp ive got the heads from mike the ones he took off some motors of his brodix, the builder told me at the time 700 was going to be pretty easy to achieve with the parts I have, now theyre just down on power to me , I see everyone here post theyre engines made 700plus, and these dynode at 620 just seeing what the diff, I know the heads may be to big, they were ported and off of a blower set up so who knows I was clearly asking what people were running as far as cams to get 700hp or more on a carb 540plus engine im not holding anyone liable just curious.
Sorry I was typing while you posted. Without the full specs on the engine, I can't speculate on why your engines only made 620hp. It may or may not be the cam choice. I don't think those heads "being too big" are necessarily an issue. What they flow might be.

We really need to start from the beginning with a full spec sheet on the engines, what RPM they made their power , and what camshaft is currently in them.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep!! i quit giving information..everyone else knows more and i have been going at it for 29 years...
Old 01-27-2014, 12:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
when eliminatershane started a thread asking what cams guys are useing in a similar build as his i told him what cam i put in a set of engines for 1 of my boats.i got beat up by people who know as much about cams as i know about flying the space shuttle.i even got pm,s from a guy telling me im no bob madera,[and im not]but all i did was respond to his thread so from now on i will not post much advice or experiance on oso.im tired of all the head cases around here lately.if one tenth of the people who recomend bob actually use him id be suprised but they all jump on the band wagon.bob is the man no doubt but to beat up on someone because he told someone else what cam he used on a build is crazyness that i dont need.just for the record the 651 cam met the needs of the builds they went in and i was happy with 950 from 8.71s on 540 with 9 lbs boost.but what do i know,i used COOKIE CUTTER CAMS.
Mike I wouldn't sweat what some guys say. You have put together some pretty bad azz stuff, that I can vouge made some great power and put a smile on my face when you whack the throttles on those whippled mills you have in the Fountain. And the wicked blown 540's you had in your cat were monsters too. Or those blown alky mills you ran back in the day. In my opinion your far from a shade tree! I can see where getting beat up by guys who probably haven't done more than a intake manifold swap on their own without help from 17 other people would be frustrating.

I'm extremely pleased with my little 800hp 468's you helped me with. 2 seasons on them so far and I haven't babied them. My favorite part about Mike Tkach is even though he's been into this stuff since I was in diapers, he still doesn't let his ego blind his vision and isn't afraid to ask for help or insight if he hits a wall. Working with ya on these projects is always fun, and whenever we get thrown a curveball we come thru with good stuff, and have alot of laughs doing it!
Old 01-27-2014, 02:07 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

What you really need is the flow numbers for the heads. That should help a lot in determining the best cam choice.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Who's dyno were the motors put on? What was the correction factor? Did the guy that dynoed the motors build them? With that cubic inch the right brodix heads and a cam in the 250-260 range I would say little more than 700 is attainable. But your gonna have to spin it around 6500. And this can be done with a cookie cutter cam.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought they would had made more with the parts we got,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.