Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam shaft numbers >

Cam shaft numbers

Notices

Cam shaft numbers

Old 01-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Well...I might as well stir the pot and let everyone crawl up my zero on it. I have run several of these cams from Bab Teague in 540's with a carb and they have all made good power. You might call 661-295-7000 and talk to Eric and ask him about the CMP-258-266 cam that they make. it has a .647 lift with 258/266 and a 114* LC. No reversion, but the motor wakes up at around 3200 rpm.
Attached Thumbnails Cam shaft numbers-dsc00022.jpg   Cam shaft numbers-slonaker-540-dyno-sheet.jpg  
Old 01-27-2014, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did talk too bob and also bob teague. Mr madera has my info and even called me too make sure I received his email. Super nice guy. I even talked to c.straub gave him my specs and flow numbers to the heads and I know he's busy but never heard back. I was just saying that mike told me about the cam he suggested as a cookie cutter and he was very very very and very again close to one that was suggested as a custom grind. He was trying to help and in my opinion was knowledgable. Enough to say hey this a pretty good cam. He never said you must run this cam and no one can come close to it. If I had my way I would call sonny Leonard and say this is Shane I need blah blah but I want real marine people that have vast knowledge of everyday stuff that works. Now sonny does build marine stuff but more drag than anything as he built our mountain motors on the pro stock car that I was the pit gofer ,clean up ***** for. I don't understand why mike even got a pm message being an ass we are all boaters and live for it everyday and should get along no matter what you know or don't know. I know I don't care if you have a mti,cig,or a john boat if it's what you can afford than more power to you. We all put our pants on one leg at a time. I will say this I'm tired of sitting here in the cold staring at **** I can't use and it's driving me nuts and I live 15 feet from the water. So moral of my story and comment is he tried to help and got persecuted for it. Just like so e people don't care for pro system carbs . I have used Patrick for years and what sold me on him was my engine was on dyno when I drag raced and we took off the carb on it that was spot on and bolted his on and picked up 48 horsepower. Does this happen all the time to everyone NO! But it sure got me hooked.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:13 PM
Registered

I dont doubt at all that what Mike told you was good info. I just find it funny to me that "HE" is on the receiving end this time as there are so many here that cant wait to be first to crawl up someones butt with the attitude that whoever they are whining at doesnt have enough sense to know how to turn off a light switch or that they are a complete idiot because they didnt pay $50.00 for a single spark plug. There are so many here that think that if you dont pay out the ying-yang for something, then what you have is junk and the truth be known...they dont have a clue. I have always tried to help others too and I have caught Hell over it. I just find it amusing to me that Mike is on the receiving end this time...and he knows what I mean about that. I think he gave you good info and now the monkey is on your back to sift thru everything and make a choice. I think and have alot of respect for both Bob's and my opinion is, for whatever it is worth...either Bob will get you going in the best direction as well as several other people here like Mike. Just sift thru the BS that the whiners are saying.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eliminatorshane
I did talk too bob and also bob teague. Mr madera has my info and even called me too make sure I received his email. Super nice guy. I even talked to c.straub gave him my specs and flow numbers to the heads and I know he's busy but never heard back. I was just saying that mike told me about the cam he suggested as a cookie cutter and he was very very very and very again close to one that was suggested as a custom grind. He was trying to help and in my opinion was knowledgable. Enough to say hey this a pretty good cam. He never said you must run this cam and no one can come close to it. If I had my way I would call sonny Leonard and say this is Shane I need blah blah but I want real marine people that have vast knowledge of everyday stuff that works. Now sonny does build marine stuff but more drag than anything as he built our mountain motors on the pro stock car that I was the pit gofer ,clean up ***** for. I don't understand why mike even got a pm message being an ass we are all boaters and live for it everyday and should get along no matter what you know or don't know. I know I don't care if you have a mti,cig,or a john boat if it's what you can afford than more power to you. We all put our pants on one leg at a time. I will say this I'm tired of sitting here in the cold staring at **** I can't use and it's driving me nuts and I live 15 feet from the water. So moral of my story and comment is he tried to help and got persecuted for it. Just like so e people don't care for pro system carbs . I have used Patrick for years and what sold me on him was my engine was on dyno when I drag raced and we took off the carb on it that was spot on and bolted his on and picked up 48 horsepower. Does this happen all the time to everyone NO! But it sure got me hooked.
You may want to call Sonny he does alot of R&D stuff for Mercury Racing so I've been told.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If i would had known what i knew now, i would had bought all new parts instead of used heads, that needed corrosion repair which by the time i had them repaired,& rebuilt,i could had bought new ones, thats my fault i had no ideal what i needed just figured bigger is better, 1150 dominators that were supposed to work for this application ( which i should had known better ) 600.00 for carbs, and alot of money to redo those, i could had bought a new pair of 1050s and saved 1000.00 on that.i guess we live and learn. I should had listened to our builder( when he said i can make that work that meant i can spend your money to make it work. Like i said it was a learning experience.. Would i use my builder again yes i ran a pair of blown 557s which went 1050hp and detuned them to 850hp for 6 years and never pulled the valve covers, ive had alittle prob and disappointment with my current 557s but we will get the bugs worked out and it will be fine no blowers or scoops on the hatches
Old 01-27-2014, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pslonker thats the power i was thinking this was going to make.but somewhere it went wrong
Old 01-27-2014, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
If i would had known what i knew now, i would had bought all new parts instead of used heads, that needed corrosion repair which by the time i had them repaired,& rebuilt,i could had bought new ones, thats my fault i had no ideal what i needed just figured bigger is better, 1150 dominators that were supposed to work for this application ( which i should had known better ) 600.00 for carbs, and alot of money to redo those, i could had bought a new pair of 1050s and saved 1000.00 on that.i guess we live and learn. I should had listened to our builder( when he said i can make that work that meant i can spend your money to make it work. Like i said it was a learning experience.. Would i use my builder again yes i ran a pair of blown 557s which went 1050hp and detuned them to 850hp for 6 years and never pulled the valve covers, ive had alittle prob and disappointment with my current 557s but we will get the bugs worked out and it will be fine no blowers or scoops on the hatches
I know exactly what you mean I've tried many times to save a buck and end up spending more in the long run. A friend of mine just told me the other day that it only costs him a little extra if he does it himself...
Old 01-27-2014, 06:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
Pslonker thats the power i was thinking this was going to make.but somewhere it went wrong

It could be the heads if they are flowing too much...bigger is not always better. The power and the torque crossed at 5300 rpm making 700+ in both HP and torque. The cam in this motor is from Teague and Ron is very happy with it. Dock side manners are also good with no loading up or stalling at an idle going into or out of gear even with the raunchy attitude at an idle.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by pslonaker
Well...I might as well stir the pot and let everyone crawl up my zero on it. I have run several of these cams from Bab Teague in 540's with a carb and they have all made good power. You might call 661-295-7000 and talk to Eric and ask him about the CMP-258-266 cam that they make. it has a .647 lift with 258/266 and a 114* LC. No reversion, but the motor wakes up at around 3200 rpm.
WOW! 776HP at 6100 from a 540 N/A. Amazing numbers. Especially considering the Flattop pistons in there, with 119cc chambers. A 9:1 Aluminum headed 540 that can crank out almost 800HP at 6000RPM, and run on 87 octane. Dude, you truly are a magician. Let me guess a 750CFM holley up top too? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAHT1alBj80
Old 01-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
WOW! 776HP at 6100 from a 540 N/A. Amazing numbers. Especially considering the Flattop pistons in there, with 119cc chambers. A 9:1 Aluminum headed 540 that can crank out almost 800HP at 6000RPM, and run on 87 octane. Dude, you truly are a magician. Let me guess a 750CFM holley up top too? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAHT1alBj80
Good guessing on your part...but wrong on a few things. No matter. Dont you recognize a Holley 500. Maybe you should schedule another eye exam.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.