Cam shaft numbers

Notices

Cam shaft numbers

Old 01-25-2014, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam shaft numbers

Just curious what's everybody running for a cam in 540 and larger ci 700plus hp N/A
Old 01-25-2014, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

id give you some information but some oso members feel only 1 person on this site is qualified to do that and that person is not me so i no longer talk about camshaft profiles on this site.im just tired of being told by people who have no clue ,sorry.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well give me some I really don't care about the naysayers on here I've got a pair of 557s 10-5-1 comp, tall deck, was supposed to make 700 plus but they only produced 620hp 650tq , I see everyone list there motors making 700plus but I want to compare engines, these engine have the Brodix heads that we talked about, just wanting to compare before I buy those pro chargers listed
Old 01-25-2014, 09:30 PM
Registered

if you are talking about the m4s,they are in my shop and if you buy them we have the cams that would work great with your setup but your compression is to high for my liking for the prochargers.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a shame mike . The last thread I started is when you stopped. I'd say from what I've seen you are more than qualified. I went with the one you recommended. It was 1 number off what was suggested by the other guy so I'd say you know pretty damn good!!, who cares what the other one or two have said they probably don't even have a boat if u know what I mean. If we don't learn something everyday then we waste our time . There are tons on here that know it all and have never built a thing. I'm building my first engine and have drag raced for 20 years and it's people on here that help me through it and I'm scared ****less cuz I want it right
Old 01-25-2014, 10:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Eliminatorshane
That's a shame mike . The last thread I started is when you stopped. I'd say from what I've seen you are more than qualified. I went with the one you recommended. It was 1 number off what was suggested by the other guy so I'd say you know pretty damn good!!, who cares what the other one or two have said they probably don't even have a boat if u know what I mean. If we don't learn something everyday then we waste our time . There are tons on here that know it all and have never built a thing. I'm building my first engine and have drag raced for 20 years and it's people on here that help me through it and I'm scared ****less cuz I want it right
thanks for the kind words,if i can help you in any way with your build feel free to pm me.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

bob madera is not the only guy on the planet who knows which end of the cam goes into the block first.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 395 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
id give you some information but some oso members feel only 1 person on this site is qualified to do that and that person is not me so i no longer talk about camshaft profiles on this site.im just tired of being told by people who have no clue ,sorry.
Don't stop helping people you always good advice on here. You and a few others that I always look for when I need advice on something.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
Just curious what's everybody running for a cam in 540 and larger ci 700plus hp N/A
I have about .660 lift and 250*dur. at .050 lift on 112 lobe ctr. That's in a 540 cu.in.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I think it's funny that people get worked up over all the cam threads. Bob get's recommended on almost every one because that's what he does for a living, and has a great reputation. Mike, I think your Crane 651 recommendation on Shane's thread was a good call, it is a tried and true cam that performs well in that size engine with a power adder. However, there could be better options, or there might be a parameter or component of his build that would benefit from a different/specific profile. I'm pretty sure if you did call Bob, and the 651 profile was the best option for your application, he would say so. Just because two cams have very similar numbers, does not mean they are the same. Overall lobe profiles can be vastly different between the two.

So let's turn this thread around.. If you want to get any meaningful responses on a cam thread, and I'm sure Bob would chime in if it's constructive, you need to post as much detail as possible. Asking what cam for a 540, is like saying how long is a rope. Johnnyboat, seeing as though this is your thread - You've got 557's, 10.5 comp. What heads, any porting, what intake, what size carb, efi, what exhaust, straight out, 90's, mufflers, what octane fuel, what is the application, what springs, rockers, pushrod size, what cam is in there now, where'd it make peak torque and peak hp, was it dyno'd with your marine exhaust, or dyno headers? Answer as much as you can and that should be a good start. There will likely be people who aren't cam experts, but may have a similar combo and can give you their real world results with what they're running, that way everybody should be able to learn a little something.. Or if that's too much work, just call Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.