Need a little cam help for small blocks >

Need a little cam help for small blocks

Notices

Need a little cam help for small blocks

Old 01-31-2014, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wes Burmark
I had the 262 cams in my 85 Stinger 260 and felt they did not perform as well as the stock cam. I ended up buying the 270 and new lifters. I was afraid to over cam. I had no issues with the stock exhaust. The motors reved to about 5300 with 23" pitch clever 3-blades. I don't have personal experience with the larger cam suggested above to comment. I can say that the 270 cam still seemed rather mild. Your setup is a little bit hotter than mine. Bet you'll be knocking on 65 m.p.h.
How did it get up on plane with the 270cam. Was it on the edge or do you feel like if you went with a larger can it would still be OK.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:27 AM
Registered

With 10:1 compression you should be more than ok with the 278 cam. It would have great lopy sound with good exhaust. Should be mentioned this cam is most happy with good exhaust. Your heads and cubic in. are just good enough for the 278 also. The question that you need to answer is (like some else mentioned) how do you use it? Idle a lot? Then the more efficient 270 will more likely be better. Like hammering it once in a while with top speed being very important, than bigger is better. Your choice.

Last edited by abmotorman; 02-01-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Registered

Sounds like the 270 would be my best bet. Especially because my exhaust system is slightly better than stock. I mostly cruise and hammer it once in a while. Some idling too ay the local gathering spots... it may be marginal differnce uptop anyway. Sounds like i cant go wrong. I also saw a video of a donzi with the 270 flat tappet and the idle tone was very acceptable... plenty of chop..
Old 02-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by infiniti383
Sounds like the 270 would be my best bet. Especially because my exhaust system is slightly better than stock. I mostly cruise and hammer it once in a while. Some idling too ay the local gathering spots... it may be marginal differnce uptop anyway. Sounds like i cant go wrong. I also saw a video of a donzi with the 270 flat tappet and the idle tone was very acceptable... plenty of chop..
Still like the hydraulic roller conversion kit. Not sure what oil you run but most of today's oil's don't have enough zinc in it for a flat tappet cam to last.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:48 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

X2 on the hydraulic roller. Brad Pitt has the ZDDP in their racing oil.

Last edited by GPM; 02-01-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:05 PM
Registered

With out a doubt im goin to run zinc additive everytime oil change.. I wish roller was in the budget... Thankd gor the input guys.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Any good quality racing synthetic will work, or Rotella T 15/40 conventional diesel oil works well too.