Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Found these interesting.. >

Found these interesting..

Notices

Found these interesting..

Old 02-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

IMO, I'd rather have valve spring oilers than that silly pre-luber you got .
Old 02-01-2014, 12:32 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO... I would rather have both.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinny P
IMO... I would rather have both.
IDK. guess I never bought into them. Theoretically I like the idea, but

I have a semi tractor with 900,000 miles on the engine, never been apart. Its been started THOUSANDS of times in cold Chicago winters, has something like 35,000 hours on the meter. Oil pressure is still in spec. No preoiler.

I just sold a Crown Victoria, that had 240k miles on the original engine. Also, started every morning in freezing temps. Engine still ran fantastic and no issues. No preoiler.

My buddys 454 Mags had 950 hours on them without a valve cover off. Oil pressure was still in spec. No pre oiler.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Spring oilers are nothing new. Sterling has used the ones that are integral to the valve cover, oil line fitted internally. A high volume pump will supply sufficient oil even with these in use. Pumps have relief blow offs, thus less blow off and more to critical areas of the engine. In dry sump apps. even better to dist. with multi stage pumps. Sterling uses piston oilers too, neat set ups.

Last edited by I'CE; 02-01-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:03 PM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IC,

The valve spring is potentially one of the most significant contributors of thermal transfer into engine oil, in some cases more so than even the combustion process. Valve springs generate heat as a byproduct of both internal and external friction. As the spring cycles through extension and compression, internal friction of the wire becomes the primary source of heat. As the cycle rate increases, the greater the heat generated per unit of time. The second is external and is developed as the spring moves against another surface. Inner and outer springs, dampers, retainers, and spring seats are the primary sources. Friction heat is the primary source of wire fatigue and resulting spring sag.

This is compounded by the fact that as the spring fatigues, the ability of the spring to maintain dynamic stability of the valve train diminishes, generating more heat. As this downward spiral progresses the spring will become increasingly unstable resulting in failure. This can manifest itself in collateral component failure within in the system such as pushrods, rocker arms, and very likely, the lifter.

On examination, a typical valve spring for a BBC marine application (Isky 9905 Tool Room) is surprisingly long. The unwound wire length of the outer, .207” dia. wire is ~ 24.5”. The inner .148” dia. wire length is ~17.5”. That totals 42” of wire per spring x 16 equals ~ 56 feet of spring wire per engine. The springs operate at temperatures varying from 200º F to 400º F under high stress conditions. Above 400º the wire color begins alter color. At 475º chrome silicon will lose temper. 56 feet of wire @ 350º F generates a massive amount of heat to dissipate with oil being the primary method of transfer.

There are numerous methods available to assist the thermal transfer from the spring with oil. Bottom line, anything you can do too promote the reduction of spring temps will benefit long term durability and valve train stability.

Bob
Old 02-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
IDK. guess I never bought into them. Theoretically I like the idea, but

I have a semi tractor with 900,000 miles on the engine, never been apart. Its been started THOUSANDS of times in cold Chicago winters, has something like 35,000 hours on the meter. Oil pressure is still in spec. No preoiler.

I just sold a Crown Victoria, that had 240k miles on the original engine. Also, started every morning in freezing temps. Engine still ran fantastic and no issues. No preoiler.

My buddys 454 Mags had 950 hours on them without a valve cover off. Oil pressure was still in spec. No pre oiler.
Some motors have to have preoilers or be pre oiled. Big chief headed stuff with lots of spring pressure will burn the pushrods if not primed preoiled lubed or whatever you want to call it. As far as a conventional headed boat motor or anything normal I'm with you not needed. But there is a place for preoilers.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 417 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinny P
I run spring oilers, but the oil comes from a small hole drilled in Themy T&D shaft rockers. In my case, the oil for the springs runs up the pushrods. Where does this spacer get the oil from?
X2

I run T&D shaft rockers. They have on optional spring oiler hole drilled into each rocker. The hole is very small. I can't see any reason to worry about stealing oil from the bottom half of the engine because of them. I keep a few spares in my toolbox. I'll try to get a few pictures posted.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Thumbs up

Well I`m glad I put the post up this has been very informative! Thanx Bob for explaining it so well, I`m going to pick up a couple sets.

As far as my "preoilers" going to have to check the plumbing , it picks up from the pan and moves the oil before the stat in my oil adaptor. Not really sure what that acccomplishes.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:26 PM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

T&D integrated spring oiling rocker arm.
Attached Thumbnails Found these interesting..-rocker.jpg  
Old 02-02-2014, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Cool, I learned something today!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.