Hydraulic Steering helm? >

Hydraulic Steering helm?

Notices

Hydraulic Steering helm?

Old 02-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Hydraulic Steering helm?

I bought a Hynuatic hydraulic steering system from a fellow OSO member that was complete except missing some fittings and some mounting tabs. I also have a Latham add on single hydraulic system with all the mounting hardware. I was thinking of using the hynautic helm and lines to go to the Latham ram. The question I have is that the helm only has 3 ports and not 4. The ports have P S and R on them and I was told I needed a 4 port helm. The configuration I was told to use was 1 port to the ram, 1 from the ram back to the helm, 1 to the inlet side of power steering pump, and 1 from the outlet side of the pump. Can I use this 3 port helm somehow?
Old 02-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that style helm is a self contained Hyd pump/assy and does not use the engine P/S for pressure, they are used mostly in inboard and outboard apps, have seen them used on I/O's just not sure how they worked...at least that the deal if it's the one I'm thinking of...
Old 02-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most Hynautic steering systems aren't meant to be used with a PS pump.
They use an air/ oil reservoir to push the oil into the helm unit.
Did you get the reservoir with the helm?

Jeff
Old 02-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Registered

Yes I got the reservoir and all lines I am only missing the through hull fittings, the mounts for the rams on the hull and the drive. I have to use a bushing of some sort to use my latham wing plate.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:20 PM
Registered

You could certainly forget the power steering pump and just use your Hynautic bits with your Latham cylinder.
The only concern I would have is that the steering ratio may be a bit lazy. Dou you know what model number the helm is?
Will you use two cylinders or one?

If you want to have a system with power assist, you'll have to get a Eaton steering helm or equivalent.

Jeff

Last edited by hallj; 02-02-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Registered

The hynautic kit came with 2 cylinders but the Latham system in a single ram. My concern with using all the hynautic stuff was trying to fabricate the brackets (not a big deal) and then figuring out bushings needed to connect the hynautic rams to the latham wing plate. I didn't want to drill holes to mount the stuff and it not be right. My steering is a cable system now but the cable is getting stiff and its time to change it. I was thinking about just changing the cable and putting my addon latham system but everyone is telling me I need hydraulic steering with the speeds the boat runs. The only information I found on the hynautic system was old information because apparantly they don't make this style system any longer and they don't have very good diagrams to see how to hook all this stuff up. This system was on a 24' Pantera that ran upper 80's so I don't think the steering well be lazy.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Registered

What does your helm look like?

http://boaterstore.com/Identify.html

Does this help for the hook up?

http://cworthy.net/boat/documents/Hy...s%20Maunal.pdf

Jeff
Old 02-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like it would work. P=port s=starboard and r=resevoir. Might just have to tee together for returns since its only 1 fitting. Hydraulic rams are hydraulic rams. Biggest difference is length both closed and extended and pressure. So the rams should work if that all matches.

Last edited by Crude Intentions; 02-03-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Registered

Yes those links help. I have the H-20 helm. I will play with 2 systems and try to get it to work.
Thanks